Stretching out the 22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m really surprised that bullet had enough energy to penetrate the baler belting at 400yds.
D285D463-CC81-4BD2-8FC2-3AE55777A2AC.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m really surprised that bullet had enough energy to penetrate the baler belting at 400yds.
View attachment 367730
I've seen some .380 pistol rounds that wouldn't penetrate a 3/8" conveyor belt we used to hang targets from. (Edit: at point blank distance) Thats impressive from a SV .22.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some .380 pistol rounds that wouldn't penetrate a 3/8" conveyor belt we used to hang targets from. Thats impressive from a SV .22.
Yessir and when we first started working on shooting that distance we figured we’d be guessing on spotting our hits because we figured the sv wouldn’t produce a loud enough ring on the 1” plate at 400yds. Wrong again. We could definitely hear the hits. Just when you’d think you’d missed…….ping.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been kind if curious how some of that Aguila heavy for caliber would do at distance. Some of the testing that @moparman has done makes me think it might be pretty impressive. I have a buddy that’s been shooting for/with Vuuduu for several years now. They’ve taken them to a grand and a little more, but the impacts are more smears as the little bullets fall from the sky like rain. We may have to pool funds and buy a couple of Charlie Taracs to share with whoever is going out any given day.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been kind if curious how some of that Aguila heavy for caliber would do at distance. Some of the testing that @moparman has done makes me think it might be pretty impressive. I have a buddy that’s been shooting for/with Vuuduu for several years now. They’ve taken them to a grand and a little more, but the impacts are more smears as the little bullets fall from the sky like rain. We may have to pool funds and buy a couple of Charlie Taracs to share with whoever is going out any given day.
I got some 60 grain Aquila. I think they call it Sniper Sub Sonic or something like that. Haven’t tried it much. I bought it to try for armadillo chootin.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I can get this on the right thread this time!!
=====

In 22 BPCR we shoot
Chickens offhand at 50m (size of a golf ball)
Then pigs at 100
Turkeys at 150
Rams at 200.

Testing ammo you find some fall apart after 100. Some after 150. But when you find the lot that holds with your gun on the Rams at 200, it feels good. Quite interesting to find which really float or drift with a good shooter behind the gun and a good spotter. You can see a three inch group at 100 turn into a shotgun pattern on a Turkey. I never tried the stuff holding up at the Rams any further than 200. Would have been even more interesting.

That Aguila standard velocity would shoot lights out at 50m so was a great cheap ammo for practicing off-hand at golfball size chickens. Wouldn’t want to do that with $15 per box of RWS-100 or any of the other spendy ammo.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I‘ve heard nothing but good things about Bergara rimfires. If I can find a used one locally, I’m buying it.
Well, after a long time looking for a Bergara, I ended up buying a Tikka T1x 22lr today, and I‘m pretty sure I’m going to like it. I bought it second hand with what looked like a pretty decent Simmons scope, but being a glass snob, I swapped it out for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14. The previous owner only shot CCI Mini Mags, but I sighted in with Blazer 40 grain ammo. I was pleasantly surprised at the 25 yard groups, but this weekend I plan to test it at 50, 100, and 200.
I adjusted the trigger poundage down a little, but I intend to do some more tweaking on it.

I’ve only dealt with one Tikka before and was impressed with the fit, finish, and function, and from the reviews I’ve seen online, the T1x is supposed to be of equal quality to the T3x Lite.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after a long time looking for a Bergara, I ended up buying a Tikka T1x 22lr today, and I‘m pretty sure I’m going to like it. I bought it second hand with what looked like a pretty decent Simmons scope, but being a glass snob, I swapped it out for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14. The previous owner only shot CCI Mini Mags, but I sighted in with Blazer 40 grain ammo. I was pleasantly surprised at the 25 yard groups, but this weekend I plan to test it at 50, 100, and 200.
I adjusted the trigger poundage down a little, but I intend to do some more tweaking on it.

I’ve only dealt with one Tikka before and was impressed with the fit, finish, and function, and from the reviews I’ve seen online, the T1x is supposed to be of equal quality to the T3x Lite.
I’ve heard great things about them. It’s on my list of things to buy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom