Stuck choke tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My DIL has a weatherby SA08. The tube is stuck really tight. I’ve soaked the barrel end in PB blaster, Hoppes, oil etc. I have the barrel in a vice with oak jaws. Can’t put to much pressure on the barrel so I am leveraging against the rib. I’m putting quite a bit of pressure on it an using a heat gun in the process with no luck. It’s the Mobilchoke system which my research tells me that this is a common issue. Any other suggestions?

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if you want to try this on a gun but as a last resort I would because I have used it for many stuck items. Even stuck bolts in exhaust manifolds. Heat it with a torch, and I don't mean cherry red or till you distort the finish but heat it up. Then emerse in water quickly, try to loosen then repeat if necessary. This has always been my last go to for alot of things and have had 90% success rate.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has a parkerized finish so I have been using a heat gun. It’s been enough to sizzle the lube around the tube. Dang thing won’t budge though

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is carbon (ie burnt powder) between barrel and choke tube along threads. The heat and emersing in water should break it once you have heated it and soaked it several times. I agree with @Timmy59 about heat transfer but heating the barrel the heat should not transfer to choke tube at same rate thus they wont grow at same rate.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can try plain old nail polish remover(Acetone) mixed with transmission fluid 50-50 for a soak. I have had that stuff break things free that I just about gave up on with PB, Wd and such. I read that on You Tube and didn't think much until I tried it. Made a believer out of me.

Also Marvel Mystery oil ain't bad for a soak believe it or not.It was the ONLY thing that was able to get some stuck lifters loose in an old 50s short hood welder that I bought that had been sitting forever.

Some Old timers used to heat something up and while hot shove a candle on it and that worked good also

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the heat transfer to the choke tube could be the problem. You need the choke tube cold and the barrel hot.

If you haven't tried this already, with it good and cool, put pressure on the choke tube to unscrew it as you are heating the barrel. You might even put a wet cloth inside the choke tube to help keep it cool. If you are lucky and get the barrel just hot enough without heating up the choke tube, it might break loose for you.

Good luck!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried just about all of the above. Something popped just a little bit ago. I hope it wasn’t the vent rib coming off!

Latest posts

Top Bottom