Sweet Boy Needs a Home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a great dog. If he's timid when you give him commands, make sure you don't show frustration. When a dog is eager to please and doesn't understand what you want, they will do that. I use treats and always stay calm and revisit things if need be and it seems to work well.

I only use treats when we are training for tricks. When we do the "serious" stuff, they get a serious amount of petting and "attaboys". I used to use a clicker to mark behaviors but I've found that using whatever unique word (or sound) for my command but I'm not coordinated enough to handle a clicker, a dog and keep myself upright when I trip over the 2 left feet I have. 🤷🤦

So now I just use "Good *insert whatever command they did properly here" and lots of loving.

I also don't have dedicated training sessions more than once a day. Those sessions are only 10-15 minutes long and are usually for breaking down a wanted behavior into the smaller steps before we actually start working in the sound for the command.

Each dog, actually each pet, regardless of species, is different, of course, and I love them all. But this guy ... Man ... He is stinking adorable! I am SO glad I got him. I watched Dawg and him in the kennel this afternoon for a little bit and he FINALLY got Dawg to play "tag" with him for a bit. He would boop Dawg with his nose and then RUN down the side of the kennel. Dawg would chase after him and boop Snoop and BAM!! they would throw on the brakes, whip around and then Snoop would chase Dawg! 🤣🤣🤣 They are both dead to the world right now! Lol

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trigger warning! Snoop doesn't have a modest bone in his body! 🤣🤣🤣 He's been in this exact spot for at least the last half hour.

Neither one of them moved a muscle when Scott came in from work. THAT is unheard of -- because Scott ALWAYS has treats from McDonald's ... Lol

IMG20240328223828.jpg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the benefits of getting him fixed? I think there are health benefits to keeping him intact.

It keeps me from killing HIM ... Because he is MOUNTING EVERYTHING, he grooms his lollipop CONSTANTLY (when he is not trying to mount someone/thing), and Dawg is starting try and mount everyone/thing also.

He is over the age of 1, so fully developed, and while he doesn't have a mean bone in his body all the sexual activity and one-up-manship we have going on right now is gonna create behavioral problems with both my dogs if I don't get a handle on things.

I've never had any health problems with a dog, male or female, that has been neutered. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying I have no personal experience with that issue. 🤷 And I have rarely had a dog ... Or cat ... That has not been neutered. In fact, Nero is the only intact dog I can remember having in the last 30-40 years.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It keeps me from killing HIM ... Because he is MOUNTING EVERYTHING, he grooms his lollipop CONSTANTLY (when he is not trying to mount someone/thing), and Dawg is starting try and mount everyone/thing also.

He is over the age of 1, so fully developed, and while he doesn't have a mean bone in his body all the sexual activity and one-up-manship we have going on right now is gonna create behavioral problems with both my dogs if I don't get a handle on things.

I've never had any health problems with a dog, male or female, that has been neutered. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying I have no personal experience with that issue. 🤷 And I have rarely had a dog ... Or cat ... That has not been neutered. In fact, Nero is the only intact dog I can remember having in the last 30-40 years.

Unless you intend to breed them for a purpose they need to be fixed. All of them.

Don't believe me, go ask the folks at any shelter.

I always left my bird dogs intact, because I intended to breed them, the good ones anyway. Pets get fixed. Bird dogs aren't pets. They're bird dogs.

Not saying that for your benefit. You had a vet in the family, I know you know.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are pros and cons to both neutering or not, but the benefits outweigh the risks by a long shot.

It eliminates the risk of testicular cancer and greatly reduces the risk of prostate cancer. And, yes, they're less like to mark and run off. Not to mention it eliminates the incidence of MORE unwanted puppies and dogs that need to find homes rather than be killed.

The shelters in this country would be damned near empty if most dogs were spayed and neutered. And that would be the best benefit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom