The flu

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the CDC is putting the flu shot at 40% effective this year. Still better odds than not getting the flu shot and being exposed.

I know several people who have had the flu this year (they say diagnosed with type "A"), and nearly every one of them had the flu shot.

You're NOT going to eradicate the flu. It's just not going to happen. It's like the common cold (rhinovirus). So if you suppress one strain, another strain will crop up. But everyone says "guess the shot didn't work this year". Every year.

And is precisely why I don't get one. It's a guess that misses nearly every time, from my observations. Just take good care of yourself, avoid close contact when you can when it's going around, and you have about the same chances as a guy who takes a flu placebo....I mean.....vaccine.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This winter has been fairly tough health wise. The herd has been thinned in my area of operations. Many folk are suffering from Cedar Fever. The pollen has/is off the chart. But, Oklahoman's as a general rule. Or just not that healthy. This winter has been tough on COPDers. You might be surprised on how many people are on home Oxygen. I have had a bunch of Vent Patients. Life is about reducing risk. Take the shot, brush your teeth, wash on a regular basis, eat right, no tobacco, makes you slightly acidic and is hard on your guns. Keep your BP down. Chew on the Airborne and take the Mucinex DM. Watch going through intersections. And, stay out of Riots.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Flu shot is a guess, every year. But here's the deal... if the strain of the flu that catches on and goes around is NOT the one in the shot... then how do you know the shot didn't work? Maybe the shot was effective at suppressing the strains that were included???

You're NOT going to eradicate the flu. It's just not going to happen. It's like the common cold (rhinovirus). So if you suppress one strain, another strain will crop up. But everyone says "guess the shot didn't work this year". Every year.

This years flu is the H3N3 virus. And the vaccine is 48% successful. That's a good thing. WHO got a good combo of strains this year. Lucky us it's not another h1n1 pandemic from a hybrid again/swine/human virus

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found the flu season, while still quite busy, to be not as bad as several past seasons. Last year also wasn't horrible, but 2 years ago was much worse.

The H1N1 outbreak in Oct 2008, I believe, was horrendous - but then the "regular" flu season that peaks in late Jan/early Feb we next to non-existent in 2009.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Woke up this morning freezing and feeling like I'd been beat with a sledge hammer. Got some chicken soup down. Got the house up to 76 degrees, covered in blankets and still cold.
Guess I've got the strain not covered by my flu shot.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woke up this morning freezing and feeling like I'd been beat with a sledge hammer. Got some chicken soup down. Got the house up to 76 degrees, covered in blankets and still cold.
Guess I've got the strain not covered by my flu shot.
Get some rest. Spring time fishing is around the corner, and you'll need your strength!

Latest posts

Top Bottom