The Immigration Debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iirc, Rubios plan would grant most things you mentioned but not give citizenship to illegals.

The first place to start is to not give anchor babies citizenship. Will five less incentive to anyone to come to the US.

Here is a New York Times story related to the plan by Marco Rubio. According to this story, his plan is similar to the one the president has proposed.

Rubio Outlines Elements of His New Immigration Plan

This is the first paragraph of that NYT story:

"Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, a Republican who is on a talking tour to publicize his proposals for an immigration overhaul, said on Thursday that tighter enforcement at the borders and in workplaces would be central to his plan, which would also offer legal status to millions of illegal immigrants."

Now, all that said, I've not read his actual plan, but from this story and what I heard on FOX the other day does seem to indicate a path to citizenship.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only problem is that securing the borders MUST come first, and I do not mean Obama's version of a secure border either. I mean a real fence or wall if need be. Then a guest worker program and we should also look at making it easier to become a citizen for those who come here legally. Also bigger fines for companies caught hiring illegals. Those fines can help pay for securing the borders.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, all that said, I've not read his actual plan, but from this story and what I heard on FOX the other day does seem to indicate a path to citizenship.
A path to legalization does not necessarily equate to a path to citizenship. As I understand it, he does support (some of) the ideas behind the Dream Act, such as giving illegals who were brought here as children a path to citizenship by either graduating from college or serving in the Armed Forces--but that, IMHO, isn't a bad thing.

JB, I think you're right on. Personally, I like cheap produce, so I'm all in favor of a guest worker program. We also need troops on the border; as much as the Border Patrol tries, they're out numbered, and the rural residents of southern Arizona shouldn't have to be packing heat to go check their mail...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A path to legalization does not necessarily equate to a path to citizenship. As I understand it, he does support (some of) the ideas behind the Dream Act, such as giving illegals who were brought here as children a path to citizenship by either graduating from college or serving in the Armed Forces--but that, IMHO, isn't a bad thing.

JB, I think you're right on. Personally, I like cheap produce, so I'm all in favor of a guest worker program. We also need troops on the border; as much as the Border Patrol tries, they're out numbered, and the rural residents of southern Arizona shouldn't have to be packing heat to go check their mail...

The bolded part is nothing new. When I served in the 70's, we had soldiers for many country's that enlisted to shorten the path to citizenship.

Thats the way it should be.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of good discussion on here. One thing I haven't noticed mentioned yet - getting out of Mexico legally is a huge obstacle for many Mexican nationals. Most of the time, their govt won't let them cross into the US. That's when some decide to cross over illegally. I know several Mexicans that have yet to experience the US because they have been refused many times, trying to follow all the ever-changing rules from their govt. Also, I have known many excellent, hard-working, skilled, illegals. They came, worked hard and well for years, built a family here, took all their savings and returned to Mexico. I can come and go freely to visit them, but they can't come back to visit me.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bolded part is nothing new. When I served in the 70's, we had soldiers for many country's that enlisted to shorten the path to citizenship.

Thats the way it should be.

I agree on this 100%. We also need to streamline and make affordable the naturalization process. Many times it is simply out of reach of immigrants to go through the process. I am not sure how accurate it is, but I have heard from multiple people going through the process that it can cost in excess of $10K, which is ridiculous

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I feel we need to close the boarder to all immigration for the next 5+ years unless said immigrant has a college degree or higher. Individuals that won't have the propensity to milk the system of it's benefits and contribute with income, property, "luxury" taxes, etc. The boarder doesnt reopen until ALL control issues are worked out and a new policy for those here and want to immigrate here are worked out. In those years where the boarder is shut down a plan is devised to have a fair policy for all levels of immigration.

I agree with this

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Senator Marco Rubio was on FOX News recently discussing what he is proposing for a way to fix a lot of things. I don't remember all the details, but I took it that the ones currently here illegally would have a "path to citizenship" but they would have to conform to certain regulations and fines. If I remember right, they could get citizenship if they were not criminals, paid a fine, applied for a visa, learned English, and then went a period of about 5 years before being allowed to become a citizen. I'm pretty sure that Rubio was also calling for a secured border.

The discussion on FOX was that he was going to try to "sit down" with Obama and others to work this plan through if possible. If Obama is serious about doing something about immigration, something he was not in his first two years when he had a Democratic Party controlled Congress, he might find this a good solution. Then again, since he appears to be trying to destroy the Republican Party, he may not want to sign onto any plan produced by a Republican.

Now, that all said, J.B.'s ideas aren't bad either. I'd probably be for it so long as it doesn't cost this country in blood and extreme costs.

I heard this on the radio. I agree with the above. The two posts would fix most all the problems

Latest posts

Top Bottom