The (New) Adult Beverage thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright so now what about scotches. I love the Islays i.e. peaty, smoky ones. Favorites currently are Laphroaig 10 year, Bowmore 15 year, Lagavulin.

What says you guys (or gals)?

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is WAY up my list. I also like Lagavaulin. When wanting something non peat I like Balvainie (sp) Carribean Cask and Dalmore. However, the single malts got so dang high a couple years ago I very seldom drink them anymore. For years Laphroaig 10 was $26 to $28 a bottle. It's nearing $50 after tax now. Just plain old to rich for my blood. I've switched over to bourbons and rums. I also like rye A LOT, but I'll be danged if it's not going up too. Seems like every time I settle on a selection of some classification of spirits, they start to spiral upwards in price. They always blame this or that, but I believe they are simply driving up the market one catagory at a time. I'm already starting to sample cheaper bourbons because I'm certain in a couple years those under $20 bottles will be $30 to $35 bottles.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had Bunnahabain. It's the only Islay to my knowledge that is unpeated. It tastes a lot more like a Highland whisky. It has some pretty interesting flavors in it... I like it.

I am pretty equal opportunity when it comes to scotches, buy my favorites are peated Islays. I always have a bottle of Lagavulin 16 in the liquor cabinet. Goes great with cured meats. I usually keep a couple Highlands as well... Macallan (of all vintages) is a favorite. I like the sherry cask stuff too, which is the girlfriend's favorite. I can appreciate anything that has an interesting flavor.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This will take you back to the 50's,,,
Pullin' into the drive-in theatre with a sweet young honey.

We all knew what we were after

flavors_cherry_bottle.png

Cherry Coke was the thing back then,,,
Just a little something sweet to get your girl in the mood,,,
Only I would just order a coke and reach under the seat for the half-pint of cherry vodka.

This stuff is much nicer than that cherry vodka was.

If you're just in the mood for a simple mixed drink,,,
This stuff is tasty and as American as App,,, eerrr Cherry Pie.

Aarond

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've found there are two criteria for drinkable scotch.

The first is the cost,,,
If I can afford it the stuff probably ain't drinkable.

The second is it's name,,,
If I can pronounce it the stuff probably ain't drinkable.

So if it's name is Glen-GobbledeyGook,,,
And it's two hundred bucks a bottle,,,
I'll probably like it just fine.

I'll stick to good Tequila. :drunk5:

Aarond

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch on the way home from work. Did my usual bourbon thing, ounce and a half whiskey/third ounce of chilled bottled water. Ho-a-lee chit!! It pains me to say it, but I think my fave high rye bourbon, Knob Creek Single Barrel, just got demoted.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've found there are two criteria for drinkable scotch.

The first is the cost,,,
If I can afford it the stuff probably ain't drinkable.

The second is it's name,,,
If I can pronounce it the stuff probably ain't drinkable.

So if it's name is Glen-GobbledeyGook,,,
And it's two hundred bucks a bottle,,,
I'll probably like it just fine.

I'll stick to good Tequila. :drunk5:

Aarond

Me and single malt had a good run. Sadly, starting a few years ago it started to spiral out of reach. I just don't see paying $50 to $70 for what used to cost $25 to $35 just a short time before. The rest of the world is welcome to it. Although, there are still some mighty good blendeds out there for $20 to $30 a bottle.

I've moved on to bourbon/rye and rum. About a year and a half ago I asked a liquor store employee in Tulsa if there was such a thing as "good rum". One of the best questions I've ever asked. :)

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and single malt had a good run. Sadly, starting a few years ago it started to spiral out of reach. I just don't see paying $50 to $70 for what used to cost $25 to $35 just a short time before. The rest of the world is welcome to it. Although, there are still some mighty good blendeds out there for $20 to $30 a bottle.

I've moved on to bourbon/rye and rum. About a year and a half ago I asked a liquor store employee in Tulsa if there was such a thing as "good rum". One of the best questions I've ever asked. :)

Pampero. Comes in a short, squat bottle in a leather bag. You can really taste the sugarcane.

www.drinksupermarket.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_image_9011e97d32d8c56d50b59c840ca9d7bab.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom