The reality of a minimum wage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seattle’s minimum wage hike hurting low-level workers, study says
By Dan Springer Published June 26, 2017
Fox News
Seattle's first-in-the-nation $15 per hour minimum wage law is hurting the workers it aimed to help, a new study has found.

The working poor are making more per hour but taking home less pay. The University of Washington paper asserts the new wages boosted worker pay by 3 percent, but also resulted in a 9-percent reduction in hours and a $125 cut to the monthly paychecks.

The law also cost the city 5,000 jobs, the report said.

Seattle's minimum wage ordinance, passed by the Seattle City Council and signed by Mayor Ed Murray in 2014, was sold as a way to close the income inequality gap and help those struggling at the bottom of the economic ladder. More than a dozen cities and counties, mostly in California and New York, followed suit.

MINIMUM WAGE HIKES MAY MALIGN FAST-FOOD JOBS AND DISCOUNT SHOPPERS

"This is a two-edged sword," said Jacob Vigdor, one of the team of researchers studying the issues for Seattle. "And if you raise this minimum wage the way Seattle did you run the risk of actually taking money away from the people you are trying to help."

The study was published as a "working paper" on Monday by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

A national campaign called "Fight for $15" aims to bring higher wages across the country by worker strikes and demonstrations.

The Seattle mayor tweeted his rebuttal of the study, and previously cited Seattle's growing economy and low unemployment as evidence that higher wages are not bad for the city.

SEATTLE SEES FALLOUT FROM $15 MINIMUM WAGE, AS OTHER CITIES FOLLOW SUIT

"The facts: Seattle's economy is booming, with wages increasing & restaurants & retail among our fastest growing job sectors," he wrote on Twitter.

But Louise Chernin, CEO of the Greater Seattle Business Association, said jobs should be increasing at a higher rate.

"You'd think with the amount of people moving into Seattle and the number of businesses and restaurants that are opening, we'd be hiring more people," she said. "It just shows me they are struggling."

The study shows not everybody is struggling, however. Job growth in the city is strong, up 13 percent in the past year – but only for those making more than $19 per hour.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No ****. In a capitalist driven society, employers try to maximize profit. It's all about what skills you offer to further their profitability (nothing wrong with that). You want to be financially successful then provide a skill needed by a profitable company.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No ****. In a capitalist driven society, employers try to maximize profit. It's all about what skills you offer to further their profitability (nothing wrong with that). You want to be financially successful then provide a skill needed by a profitable company.

Yeah, don't get how they feel they deserve $15 an hour for flipping burgers. When did Mcdonalds become a job that one tried to make a living from??? When I was in HS, I worked flipping burgers for Weekend money(cuz my dad was a stingy bastard :hellno:)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will stiffle furthering the education of the workers, why pay for schooling when they already have a career at McDonald's? It sounds like a program designed to deter some people from furthering their education which could be alienability to some political circles who want to keep the people int heir place for control.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with "wage equality" and everything to do with making people dependent upon government. Eventually, it will lead to servitude. People will serve the state to feed those dependent upon the state. The only people with wealth will be those in charge.

At least in a capitalist society, the wealthy must earn their wealth.

Woody

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've said it before and will say it again. I'm a college educated, white collar worker. But, if I were starting out now, it would be much smarter to learn a trade. Electricians, welders, plumbers, etc. are a smarter choice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've said it before and will say it again. I'm a college educated, white collar worker. But, if I were starting out now, it would be much smarter to learn a trade. Electricians, welders, plumbers, etc. are a smarter choice.

There are a lot of folks in this country living in beautiful homes on acreages and in the burbs that graduated from high school, learned a trade and put it to use without massive student debt. Contractors are desperate for electricians to complete homes and businesses.
Folks that know fiber optics splicing, etc, can write their own paychecks at times if you're willing to travel.
Instrumentation and control systems tech's draw top money anywhere they work, and there is always a shortage of them across industry.
There is a world of work outside a college education. Nothing wrong with getting your hands dirty for a living.

Latest posts

Top Bottom