The wife says that she's ready for gun ownership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sweet wife of 30 years has always avoided firearms. Living the life of a somewhat typical suburban wife and mom, she's mostly steered clear of topics dealing with home and/or personal defense. As a matter of fact, early in our marriage, she brushed off attempts to gain firearm familiarity with the statement that she'd rather be killed by a bad guy than shoot a bad guy. I think there was some amount of honesty in that. She knew where my revolver was and never asked me to hide it away. And, she never frowned on me shooting with my sons. It was just a topic that she chose to avoid for herself. I wouldn't call it nervousness; it was more that she just wanted to avoid some unpleasant realities that seemed far away from her home.

An interesting thing happened last week. In a casual discussion of the news and the times, she told me that she'd like her own handgun. Stories of home invasions and news stories of rabble rousers demanding this and that have really gotten to her. She told me that now, if an intruder threatened her life, she'd use a firearm to stop him. This is a big change for her and one that only came after a great deal of personal growth and thoughtfulness. I am proud of her.

Sooner State Pawn is ordering her a new Ruger SP101 in .38 special and it should be in next week. (Thanks guys!) Coming from someone who must leave his wife regularly so he can travel on business, I'm glad to know that she will soon be armed and trained and prepared to defend herself. I think she'll do just fine. Proud of my girl.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dear wife had never shot a gun when we got married, grew up on a farm with brothers that had shotguns, so wasn't opposed to guns, just never had exposure to handguns or rifles. I got a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt, 7 1/2 inch barrel and taught her to shoot with that. Suddenly I lost my Ruger... It's been her gun for 40 plus years and is her bedside companion especially if I'm gone.. She's good with it too... Blitzfike

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife has been know to "decide" that I really don't need that new gun I bought and it is now hers. It has happened alot over the last 44 years, but, it seems to happen a lot more since we retired.
And oddly enough it is not only pistols but also fly rods and kayaks. Really I think it is great because.... it gives me a reason to buy me another one. After all a guy always needs a new pistol or fly rod and kayak.

Latest posts

Top Bottom