They wont give up GRRRR!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Figured this was coming.

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=341435&

Newsroom: Press Releases

In Wake of Boston Attack, Lautenberg to Reintroduce Legislation Requiring Background Checks for Sale of Explosive Powder

Current Law Allows "Black Powder" and Other Explosives To Be Purchased Without Any Checks
Lautenberg Press Office, 202-224-3224
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C.—In the wake of the deadly bombing attacks in Boston, U.S. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ) today announced that he will reintroduce legislation he has proposed in a prior Congress to require that sales of explosive powder be subject to a background check. He will also file the legislation as an amendment to the gun violence prevention bill currently on the Senate floor.

Current law allows an individual to purchase as much as 50 pounds of explosive “black powder” without a background check, and also permits an individual to purchase unlimited amounts of dangerous “smokeless powder” and “black powder substitute” without a background check. Sen. Lautenberg’s proposal would change that and require a background check for any purchase of these explosive powders. These powders can be used as the explosive material in assembling pipe bombs, used in the Columbine school shooting, and pressure cooker bombs, which may have been used in the recent Boston attack.

“It is outrageous that anyone, even a known terrorist, can walk into a store in America and buy explosives without any questions asked,” said Senator Lautenberg. “If we are serious about public safety, we must put these common-sense safeguards in place. While the police have not revealed what specific explosive materials were used in Boston, what we do know is that explosive powder is too easy to anonymously purchase across the country.”

Lautenberg will introduce the “Explosive Materials Background Check Act,” which will:

· Require a background check to purchase black powder, black powder substitute, smokeless powder, or any other explosive, in any quantity;

· Provide the Attorney General with the authority to stop the sale of explosives when a background check reveals that the applicant is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General reasonably believes that the person may use the explosives in connection with terrorism; and

· Make it illegal to manufacture homemade explosives without a permit.

Lautenberg introduced a similar proposal in 2003 as part of his “Homeland Security Gun Safety Act of 2003.” Current law does not require an individual to produce a permit, identification or undergo a background check when purchasing up to fifty pounds of black powder. To make matters worse, no permit or background check is required for the purchase of any quantity of black powder substitute or smokeless powder. Current explosives laws also do not prevent the manufacture of homemade explosives without a license, unless the manufacturer is “engaged in the business” of making explosives.

In October 2010, Sen. Lautenberg released a report, “Firearms, Explosives and Terrorists – A Looming Threat – A Major U.S. Vulnerability,” examining the dangers posed to the United States by terrorism attacks using explosives. The report points to the Mumbai attacks and attempted bombing in Times Square, as demonstrating the interest and ability of terrorists to launch attacks in the United States using explosives.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I called this in another thread somewhere.

I subset what these people will do when they realize you can buy chemicals like gasoline, fueled, and fertilizer without background checks also!

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Did I miss something? I never heard the FBI had finished the investigation. At this point no one knows what was used to construct the bomb. He is just your typical Democrat in my eyes!

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And we can't ever give up either. Hopefully we can keep winning through the legislative process, but that day Jefferson spoke about will come around eventually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom