thinking about a job change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always had this dream to buy a small-town gas station and work that thing.

The kind with the booths by the window, a hotdog roller, and pizza-pockets and homogeneous purpose burritos/eggroll/tacquitos behind glass.

Be there early, make the coffee, let the old timers come in and BS about how jacked up things are. Have an old circulating fan and crappy TV tuned to Judge Judy during the quiet times.

sounds like the movie clerks.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I think Sooner State Pawn should hire you full time and me part time. We've both traded, bought, and sold more guns than anyone I know so we have the experience. I've got a life of leisure being retired USPS but get bored when it's not a good day to ride motorcycles or play golf.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Sooner State Pawn should hire you full time and me part time. We've both traded, bought, and sold more guns than anyone I know so we have the experience. I've got a life of leisure being retired USPS but get bored when it's not a good day to ride motorcycles or play golf.

Copier repair tech....

I know this is an old post but when i read these two right next to each other i thought about "The Postman" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119925/

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of friends who are lawyers.. They tried a few years ago to get me to get a process servers license. Said they could keep me buisy most all the time for them and a few other lawyers they knew. I don't remember what the going rate for each paper served is, but it is pretty significant. That might be an option.

Forgiven72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was glad to see this thread. I've got the best job I've ever had making the most money I'll ever make and I hate it. Im on call for 15 days straight and then off 6. Each job takes a minimum of 14hrs and you never know when one is going to start. Its alot of reponsibility without much supervision. I fantasize about doin almost anything (including hvac) that isint "on call". Am I nuts?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't think you're nuts at all. long periods of being on call can be more challenging than a low pay. I have a standard 8-5 job, make great money and enjoy what I do for the most part, but any job can wear on you.

I've heard people say "Do what you love and the money will follow" - the actual original saying was "Do what you love and the money won't matter" - I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

While I enjoy having predictable working hours and a known project to work on, or problem to solve (I'm a computer programmer, BTW) - at the end of the day, I've spend 8 hours chunking 1's and 0's into a computer system. While I know that is creation - of a type - I have many hobbies that are much more personally rewarding that my job. I've done everything from grow a garden to build a CNC machine, to make furniture. I got into reloading, amateur gunsmithing, long distance shooting. And I've been a pilot since forever - my first love, first hobby and the one obsession that would trump all others, should I be forced to pick.

What sucks is none of those things, if converted to a job, make anywhere NEAR the money I make right now and my family is accustomed to a certain lifestyle. It's a frustrating place to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom