This ole boy is toast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By my read of the law, here's an example situation:

You walk outside and see someone committing a felony.
You're empowered by the law to prevent the commission of a felony using reasonable force.
Any fight on the part of the criminal is unlawful and we regular citizens are empowered to continue meeting force with force, matching a criminal's escalation, all in the name of preventing the commission of a felony.
Presumably, if the criminal escalated the situation until you were in fear of great bodily harm or death, you would be justified in commensurate self defense.

Not that this is the smartest way to proceed, but it appeared to be correct by the book as far as I can tell.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
By my read of the law, here's an example situation:

You walk outside and see someone committing a felony.
You're empowered by the law to prevent the commission of a felony using reasonable force.
Any fight on the part of the criminal is unlawful and we regular citizens are empowered to continue meeting force with force, matching a criminal's escalation, all in the name of preventing the commission of a felony.
Presumably, if the criminal escalated the situation until you were in fear of great bodily harm or death, you would be justified in commensurate self defense.

Not that this is the smartest way to proceed, but it appeared to be correct by the book as far as I can tell.

This is correct. As I understand it, stepping in to stop the commission of a felony is permitted. As is protecting the life and limb of others you don't even know. Those who say you can only protect yourself and your family are incorrect. You CAN step in to intervene in a robbery or something similar. However... in Oklahoma, you'd better make certain it's over $1000 at this point, or it's not a felony, and you cannot intervene. This means most gas station robberies, you wouldn't be allowed. I doubt the way most of them are configured today with drop-safes, most robberies don't come away with $1000.

Good job Oklahoma. Making thieves less criminal. Good job.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't carry my Price is Right handy reference guide with my SDA, so how am I supposed to know???
Won't assault and battery of a person exceed that $1000 value (considering co-pays, even if well insured), or is that an apple-oranges thing that I'm getting mixed up.

Or am I just reeling from TEOTWAWKI????

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be apples/oranges, I think. It's not theft or destruction of property, it's assault on a person, immediate danger of death or great bodily harm. As I've said before, the "great bodily harm/injury" is a whole helluva lot easier yardstick to meet than people realize. A single punch can be fatal or debilitating, putting you in a totally defenseless position, thus rendering your helpless and at the mercy of your attacker. I'm not willing to take a single punch, that's just me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom