Thoughts on tinnitus/ hearing protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad has it and has said he can see why some have considered suicide. I hope I never get it. I have done a lot to damage my hearing. I just hope I don’t get this. I can deal
With not hearing well I just don’t think I can deal with constant ringing.

Actually, I have ringing in my ears, but over the years, I've managed to "tune it out" until someone brings up the subject.

Thanks to all you guys for discussing this.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had tinnitus and hearing loss since my 20’s. Like some said, don’t notice it much until someone mentions it. Just a part of life now.
Your born with just so many of the tiny nerve endings in your ears that help generate sound. When those get damaged, the body doesn’t replace them so loss is progressive.
Hearing loss and tinnitus can also contribute to depression among those that are afflicted because your personal and social life will be affected.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had 24/7 tinnitus for many years and have also learned to tune it out to some degree......when it bothers me the most (if I think about it) is when my surroundings are quiet.

Also have had hearing loss for quite a few years (things sound muffled) but didn't get around to going to the VA for a hearing test till late 2015 after the wife kept complaining that I had the TV cranked up so loud it was giving her a headache.

The VA gave me free hearing aids and I wear them daily but mostly only in the evenings to watch a couple hours of TV. I'll admit the hearing aids really help and I never realized how bad my hearing loss actually was till I got them.

Last edited:

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have it and it sucks, some days its louder and some days its not noticeable, but right now its screaming at me, I was young and stupid listen to loud music in the truck, wear headphones music blaring. I am now paying for it, and I am only 42. And right now I am going through a issue kinda related to tinnitus my balance is off there is a disease called menire's disease, and I think I have it, tinnitus is one thing you have with it, its not fun at all, so those that do have prefect good hearing, please protect it, use ear plugs what ever it takes no matter how funny you look, use them or end up with the constant uncomfortable ringing, makes it hard for me to go sleep, without a tv or some noise on to drown it out so I can go to sleep.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have it now.
About 2 years constant ringing, & louder in the right ear.

Had a mild ear infection 2 winters ago & after that is when I noticed it.

I does go away, or gets much quieter if I lay perfectly flat on my back.

But even with the ringing in my ears, I can still hear a pin drop,
& I can hear if the engine or suspension on my classic car makes a different noise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom