Thunder Stadium Vote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, the current arena is probably more than adequate so why build an new one? It won't generate any more spectators that we currently have (there are just so many people that attend a game) but will increase sales tax on those living in Oklahoma county. To me it makes as much sense as me wanting a new home because mine is over 20 years old but yet more than adequate.
I maintain that the city should use the money (if voted in) to establish a school to train and educate low income earners for skilled labor which would not only give them a better life but they'd pay more in taxes and the city would benefit from that multifold. Think of that! OKC wold be the only city in the US to have a program that would be a national training standard of excellence that would actually pay the city back over only a few years.
I think I just read the definition of Democrat.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted yes, mostly to upset all the old grumpy people!

I feel like its a little bit of both. OKC doesn't necessarily NEED a new arena, however, to continue with our forward motion, and growing while attracting more dollars and bigger events to show up to our city from outside, we need something. An arena is a great way to do all that, in a way that will benefit us all. Do we want one? Many do. I'm indifferent about it, to be honest. I am a big fan of outside dollars coming in, more employers coming in, and Oklahomans having more job opportunities and income potential. The chance of getting to have some fun in the process it just a perk.
All growth means is becoming a democrat city. With all that that means.

No thanks.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like it passed. Doesn't look like many showed up and voted, less than 60k people. Passed 71%/29%.

On the bright side, it isnt a new tax, according to channel 5:
The newly approved plan calls for the arena to be funded by extending the MAPS 4 one-cent sales tax for an additional six years, which would include $70 million from previous money already set aside for the Paycom Center. The one-cent sales tax won't start until 2028

Guess we're all gonna have to start voting democrat since this passed. Thats what happens next right?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I look at it this way. If big shiny new stadiums were a great investment, wouldn’t professional sports teams want to build their own and turn a profit renting them out to other events? Aren’t most major sports teams owned by billionaires who know how to make a buck or two?

I think every city over a certain size should probably have a decent sized stadium so as to provide education, recreation and entertainment opportunities for their residents and taxpayers. If the tax base is there and they can afford one sizable enough to attract a major league team, great! I just don’t think building a new stadium to satisfy a single corporation’s demands, is something they should try to sell to taxpayers based on the idea that it makes financial sense.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were a guessing man, I would guess one of these spots. However, I would likely make a terrible city planner, so this is all likely wrong. If you click on the picture it should blow up big enough to read street names. They've spent a lot of money on that Oklahoma river business, and its a great location, I am willing to bet the fancy new district/arena will be along the river. Nice part of that is it will be away from bricktown.

newarena.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom