Time frame on returning a new car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once you sign on the line and take possession and leave I believe it's yours. But I suspect they might work with you on it if you go back. Kind of depends on the dealership though.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, no return policy in Oklahoma. I work at a dealership, when you sign papers and drive off the lot, it's all yours. Just ask them to take care off it, any good dealer will take care off it with no problem.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/products/pro03.shtm

Federal Trade Commission said:
Also exempt from the Cooling-Off Rule are sales that involve:

real estate, insurance, or securities;
automobiles, vans, trucks, or other motor vehicles sold at temporary locations, provided the seller has at least one permanent place of business;
arts or crafts sold at fairs or locations such as shopping malls, civic centers, and schools.

The 3 day cooling off rule is often referenced as the legal authority to return a new car. Based on the info I found on the FTC's web site I don't think so.

But read the entire brochure on the site. Not long and it may clear up a misconception.

I could find no other reference to how one could legally return a new car purchase.

You may want to google lemon law for cars but FWIW one doubts that some scratches on a hatch back would qualify an new car as a lemon.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
never heard of a right of recision on a car. Guess if they want to keep a good customer they will work with you, but they don't have to I believe.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about Oklahoma law, but I can tell you having worked in 2 dealerships in 2 states, if they haven't submitted the title work, you're raising cain with them, and you haven't put many miles on it, they'd rather take it back than fight a legal battle. It's up to the dealer.

They really should fix the issue though.

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think you will find that once you signed and took possession it is yours. it is your responsibility to examine and inspect prior to delivery, not anyone else. the dealership might attempt to assist you if you don't hit them with an attitude. the dealership will most likely try to clear it up with you, they likely have a competent prep department.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the dealership does take care of you, I'd brag on them for a while - they're giving some pretty awesome customer service at that point.

This.

When we bought my wife's first Mini at Bob Moore a couple of years ago, everything seemed fine. About halfway home it started running rough. The next day, the motor blew. They sent out a truck, picked it up, and cancelled the paperwork. On a used car. They absolutely did not have to do that, and I know that we will probably shop there next time around.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the car from Edmond Fiat . I checked out the damage and it looked more like paint transfer. I compounded it off and it looks pretty good. So that issue is settled. Then another arose. We checked out our cost for the extended warranty and decided it was too costly. The financial and loan part is done at Edmond Hyundai next door to Fiat. I called them to see if we could cancel the extended warranty and they said we could but,we would have to come back in. We got to the Hyundai dealership around 5:30pm Friday . We live in Ponca City. We went in and told them what we needed and they had us wait in the lounge until they had completed all the new loans. My wife was really pissed off after waiting four hours and wrote them a check for the full amount. She told me she wasn't going to let those A-holes get their cut of the interest after the way they treated us. I don't like car payments anyway. I wanted to buy American but ,couldn't find another car small enought to fit in my garage behind my wife's car that had all the same features. I wanted something that got great mileage to drive to work. Those people were as annoying as their tv commercials.

Latest posts

Top Bottom