Tom Clancy Books

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without remorse is definitely one of my favorites. Amazon prime sure butchered that movie. It would’ve been nice if they made it 20 years ago. I have been wanting that book to be made into a movie for a very long time.

So much of the the book was lost that wasn’t in the movie. I know things are made for our current times but the way it was wrote, I wish they would’ve kept true to it.

Typical movie plot of being left for dead, new found love killed off, Killing off drug dealers as practice then going for the pimps, planting a K bar in that one guy’s head clean to the hilt and forcing that dirtbag politician to OD. lots that I forgot and didn’t mention. Hass to be at least 25 years since I read the book if not more.

You guys talking about Tom Clancy marathons is making me want to go and re- buy the books just to re-read them again

Yeah I have not seen the movie but I knew that there was no way that they could put everything that is in the book in the movie, and the tone of our society is do different now than the time that the book took place. I will still give it a watch when I can.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to read something after Rainbow Six, and I do not think that there was a sequel for it.

Which one do you guys recommend I jump to next? I am more of a fan of John Clark than I am of Jack Ryan.

Jack Ryan is a little too much of a "Mary-Sue Boy Scout" for my tastes. He is too perfect at everything.
The next one chronologically and that Rainbow plays a part in, is The Bear and the Dragon.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure where I got this list (it's several years old), but it's the chrono order of the Ryan/Clark novels, and accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Code:
======================================================================
  Chronological order of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels 
======================================================================
01. Without Remorse
    A John Clark novel: Jack Ryan makes a cameo.

02. Patriot Games
    Jack Ryan stops Irish terrorists and joins CIA.

03. Red Rabbit
    Jack Ryan is a CIA Liaison Analyst in London.

04. The Hunt for Red October
    Still in London, Jack Ryan helps in a Soviet sub's defection.

05. The Cardinal of the Kremlin
    1988, Jack Ryan and CIA attempt to extract a "mole" from Moscow.

06. Clear and Present Danger
    Acting Deputy Director (Intelligence), Ryan uncovers a covert
    operation in Colombia.

07. The Sum of All Fears
    DDI Ryan faces off against President Fowler amidst a nuclear crisis.

08. Debt of Honor
    After retiring from CIA, Ryan becomes national security adviser
    and oversees "conflict" with Japan.

09. Executive Orders
    Jack Ryan is now President of the United States, faces multiple
    threats all at once.

10. Rainbow Six
    Another "John Clark" novel, though Ryan is mentioned in passing.

11. The Bear and the Dragon
    2000, President Ryan faces a Sino-Russian war.

12. The Teeth of the Tiger
    2003, Jack Ryan, Jr. is now a covert agent against terrorists.

13. Dead or Alive
    2007, based on Jack Ryan's announcement that he would run against
    Ed Kealty for President in the coming year.

14. Locked On
    2007, based on Jack Ryan Sr.'s campaign for re-election.

15. Threat Vector
    2009, Jack Ryan Sr. is president. China starts a shooting war for
    control of the South China Sea.

16. Command Authority
:drunk2:
___

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else a fan of his novels?

I just finished reading Rainbow Six and I have also read Without Remorse and one other one that I cannot remember the name of.

Rainbow Six was an interesting novel to read and it was looooong. But it was fun to see what constituted a "cutting edge" tactical load out around the turn of the millennium.

Also, for all of the acclaim that Clancy got for the accuracy in his books, he made several errors that I found, most notably every team member of Rainbow 6 carrying a "Beretta 45" and after reading it more closely I am almost positive that he is not talking about the Beretta/Stoeger "Cougar" in 45 ACP, but a version of the M9 chambered in .45

In all of the promotion for the book, including the video-game tie-in that was developed along with the novel, they use H&K USP which I feel is a smart choice for the time and place.
Yes I red a book that king of reminded me of a Clancy Book, Mongol Moon which might be why i liked it so much

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not read all, but have read most of Clancy's novels. Like Seadog, I was excited for Without Remorse to be a movie and so disappointed in the movie. As a child of the Cold War, I really enjoyed the Clancy novels.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red Storm Rising was a great book.

For those of us that were in the Army when "Fulda Gap" was our buzz word, it was a bit too accurate.
I remember war gaming Fulda and several of us were wondering how the heck he got some of his information.

I've read most of his Jack Ryan/Ryan Jr. stuff and enjoy it.

The one with the 747 crashing into the Senate as a bit "predictive" of 9/11.

You might also try Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series and Mark Greaney's Grey Man series.

Dave

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red Storm Rising was a great book.

For those of us that were in the Army when "Fulda Gap" was our buzz word, it was a bit too accurate.
I remember war gaming Fulda and several of us were wondering how the heck he got some of his information.

I've read most of his Jack Ryan/Ryan Jr. stuff and enjoy it.

The one with the 747 crashing into the Senate as a bit "predictive" of 9/11.

You might also try Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series and Mark Greaney's Grey Man series.

Dave
He was an advisor to Reagan on the USSR. I’ll never begin to comprehend the depth of his research.

I was working with the types of machines that he detailed so completely in Sum of All Fears and he even put a section in the back explaining that he wasn’t giving out information on nuclear bomb design that wasn’t already public.

He was extremely detailed with the design elements, machines, and cutting of the metals down to the gases to keep the cutters cool while cutting and it was pretty well spot on. They broke the mold after making Clancy.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
John le Carre’. He lived the life, was a spy master. His stuff is scary when you realize it is so very plausible. Clancy, while good, is tame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom