Reading Suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
To couple with this thread, where do you guys shop for books? I like the fact that Barnes and noble take PayPal but the shipping time is slow. I try to spend most of my money local though. Best Of Books in Kickingbird square is locally owned and the owner is always there. Great selection of conservative minded books too.
I’m not much of an audio book guy. I prefer the real thing. Something about turning pages I guess. Probably why I never like the kindle or the nook either.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the past, we did a lot of our book buying online. Recently, the wife has been buying through a small, locally-owned book store to try to help support them. We lost one such book store after about a year in business, and we'd rather not see it happen again!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same place I shop for everything else, Amazon. I can't remember ever looking for a book that I couldn't find on Amazon, but found somewhere else. I'm sure there are some, but I've found some pretty obscure books on Amazon.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
To couple with this thread, where do you guys shop for books? I like the fact that Barnes and noble take PayPal but the shipping time is slow. I try to spend most of my money local though. Best Of Books in Kickingbird square is locally owned and the owner is always there. Great selection of conservative minded books too.
I’m not much of an audio book guy. I prefer the real thing. Something about turning pages I guess. Probably why I never like the kindle or the nook either.
I always heard all the music and books you download are not yours to keep. THey can stop them from playing at any time through your service.
I bought some audio books just to listen to when traveling out to the panhandle and back.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My favorite book store is Full Circle Bookstore at 50 Penn Place, across from Penn Square Mall. The rolling ladders on the walls are a nice feature. It just feels 'cozy'......the perfect bookstore!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shouldn't reveal good hunting spots but here goes. I read very little fiction, mostly history and such.

USED BOOKS can be hit or miss.
Sometimes thrift stores have a selection of books for sale.
I found a copy of Elmer Keith's SIXGUNS (missing the dust cover but perfect otherwise) at a church book sale for a few dollars.

For used books in OKC, this is packed like Wanenmacher's in Tulsa, haven't seen scooters but people do actually pull little wagons to haul their books:
The Friends of the Library Book Sale is held each year on the last weekend in February at the State Fairgrounds in the Claude Hall Memorial Building (whatever it's called, it's the building with two rooms; he only uses one of them for gun shows).
Anyway, one room is full of paperbacks and the other is full of hardbacks (more expensive). You have to be a "Friend of the Library" or know somebody who gets tickets to enter on Friday; admission is free on Sat and Sun. Books are picked over by the end.
One thing I'm seeing more of at this sale, is book re-sellers with some kind of smartphone app. The walk the aisles, not even looking at the titles or authors, just scanning book after book. If their scanner goes "beep," they grab the book. I'm guessing they have it set to a certain dollar amount and if the book can be re-sold for a profit, they snatch it up.

Half-Price books can have some deals, they sell both new and used.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For NEW BOOKS, Full Circle Bookstore is good.
In addition to Amazon, I have ordered from Edward R Hamilton Bookseller.
They sell new, closeout books but I don't know how their shipping is the Rona Era.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of my book purchases are through Amazon for convenience. But I have bought a few through Books a Million . Love to browse used books.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to buy a lot of my books at the Book Stall in Norman, a little used book store catty-cornered from the public library. I like Barnes & Noble, I just can't afford to shop there, so I get most of my books from Amazon. The other places I often bought new books (Waldenbooks and Hastings) are gone with the wind...

Latest posts

Top Bottom