Reading Suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Muscle and a shovel by Michael Shanks

Paradise by Mark Cahill

The Holy Bible

Or if you want something that isn’t faith related I suggest reading Helter Skelter. It is long but a fantastic read.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got around to starting Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot Michael Collins's Carrying the Fire. It is reputed to be one of the best astronaut autobiographies out there; I'm not very far into it, but it's pretty good so far.
I just read the forward from Lindbergh and the two prefaces from Collins. I gotta get this book.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently reading a book on Tibor Rubin, a Hungarian Jew who was in a Nazi concentration camp, was liberated by American Soldiers and pledged to go to the United States and be a "GI Joe." He somehow was able to enlist int he US Army and served in Korea and saved several lives by manning a machine gun over overwhelming odds. He and his gfellow Soldiers were subsequently captured and he spent a few years as a Chinese POW. He aided, encouraged, picked lice off fellow POW's and even found some goat turds to give to a POW who was dying and saved his life. Rubin was impressed and even took a couple himself in the hope that it would help him. Anyway, you might try the book or the Book of Books-the Bible.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or if you want something that isn’t faith related I suggest reading Helter Skelter. It is long but a fantastic read.

Another true crime book is Homicide, A Year on the Killing Streets.
Back during the crack epidemic a reporter with the Baltimore Sun newspaper followed city homicide detectives for a full year and wrote a book about it.
The story about the detectives looking for a child killer was sad (killer was not found) but the suspect they brought in for questioning based on fingerprints was interesting.

Hollywood made a TV series based on the book and they had to politically correct the title to Homicide, Life on the Street.
Never saw the TV show.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another true crime book is Homicide, A Year on the Killing Streets.
Back during the crack epidemic a reporter with the Baltimore Sun newspaper followed city homicide detectives for a full year and wrote a book about it.
The story about the detectives looking for a child killer was sad (killer was not found) but the suspect they brought in for questioning based on fingerprints was interesting.

Hollywood made a TV series based on the book and they had to politically correct the title to Homicide, Life on the Street.
Never saw the TV show.
That sounds like a good one. Thanks for the suggestion. I remember the show. But I too haven’t seen it. My wife and I started watching a series called Forensic Files. It is excellent. If you haven’t seen it I highly recommend it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mention of Korea above reminded me of two books. The second is Gen. Moore's book on the Battle of the Ia Drang, We Were Soldiers Once...and Young. A buddy who was a Vietnam vet (and had the X-rays of the shrapnel he still carries to prove it) loaned me his hardback copy; he'd become friends with a few of the guys from Oklahoma who are mentioned in the book, and had gotten them to sign it. I took better care of that book than I did my own. It's a helluva story and a helluva book.

The other is Retreat, Hell! We're Just Attacking In Another Direction by Jim Wilson about the 1st Marine Division at the Chosin Reservoir. It has been a good 20, maybe 25 years since I read it, but I recall it as being a pretty good read.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like a good one. Thanks for the suggestion. I remember the show. But I too haven’t seen it. My wife and I started watching a series called Forensic Files. It is excellent. If you haven’t seen it I highly recommend it.
This is one of the best. It's a step by step show recreating the homicides Lt Kenda investigated in Colorado Springs.
81BFxkzhxtL._RI_.jpg

His book
images

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the heck of it, I got the Audible version of Mat Best's Thank You For My Service and started listening to it today. It's certainly not for everyone (lots and lots of swearing, some sexual exploits, and a sense of humor that involves such things as picking up the forearm of a real life Achmed the Dead Terrorist and saying things like "anybody need a hand?"), but if you like his MBest11 and Black Rifle Coffee Company YouTube videos, you'll probably like his book. I haven't looked at a printed version, but I have a hard time believing that it'd be any better than the Audible version, which he reads.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read this book a couple of years ago but forgot about it.

DAYS OF RAGE by Bryan Burrough

It's the history of the Weather Underground, a domestic left-wing terror group in the U.S. in the late 60s and early 70s.
It started from the Vietnam war protestors and they wound up setting off bombs, burning buildings and assassinating police officers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom