Took a kid hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to see you got a youngster out in the field. I don't know if I would have left a 14 year old alone in a blind with a bow if it were his first time out. Or if he's been out...but never has shot an animal.

I am positive I wouldn't with a gun!

take sometime off of your season and show him the right way.... you and he will be greatly rewarded for it.

Just my .02

PJ

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
Glad to see you got a youngster out in the field. I don't know if I would have left a 14 year old alone in a blind with a bow if it were his first time out. Or if he's been out...but never has shot an animal.

I am positive I wouldn't with a gun!

take sometime off of your season and show him the right way.... you and he will be greatly rewarded for it.

Just my .02

PJ

he has been hunting just hadn't killed a deer yet. When riffle season starts he will not be alone with a gun.I might have been born at night but not last night.I just got back from putting a scope on the gun his dad bought for him. so sat we will be at the range sighting in and letting him get used to the gun.the only problem we are having is he is left eye dominant but shots right handed so I have my hands full teaching him to shoot.but there will be someone with him at all timesmduring riffle season so don't worry everyone will be very safe

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
put a reddot on it ,thats what did for my grandson when he was having trouble with a regular scope. because of eye dominance

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
put a reddot on it ,thats what did for my grandson when he was having trouble with a regular scope. because of eye dominance

Never thought about a red dot thanks.if the one we got last night doesn't work out I have one on my pistol that I can put on it.it's a 30 mm.if I can't have him shooting comfortable we'll go another route.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way to go, I have had a hunting buddy for life &for the last 7 years, my son would go dove hunting with me at age 6 by 8 he had his own shot gun 20 ga. We mostly hunt public land & the wild life mgt draw hunts, so he knows that you will not always come home with game. Hunted deer with me at 9 & got his 1st doe. I know how you feel about a hunting partner, I am getting his life time for his BD @ 16 3 more years to go. Eventually I will have to let him hunt deer on his own but I enjoy watching his excitment it is contagous

Congrats on taking him out & the stories we have lots already!!

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KD if you find he is recoil sensitive you can load some 125's in that 30-30 if you reload, either flat points or spire points but it will be a 2 shooter with the pointy booolits. Hodgdon has some youth load datafor may calibers & remington makes a low recoil round in a number of calibers including 30-30
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-recoil/managed-recoil.aspx

yes I do reload.I will hAve to see how he handles
The recoil.he already shoots a 20ga and a 16ga.I was even thaking I could load some 100 grain round point I have for my m1 carbine.thanks for the info I will post sun or mon about how he does since we are going to the range sat afternoon.if the marlin is to much I might let him use the carbine but just put 4 or 5 rounds in the clip.he wants to shoot my 30-06 but I told him it kicks like a mule.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we took my cousin to the range saturday. he is a great shooter. he has a weird way of looking through the scope but it works.i would hate to be left eye dominant.we started with a henry 22 then switched to the 30-30. he was hitting a 1 inch bullseye at a hundred yards with the 30-30 like it was nothing.he is very accurate and mothical with taking time placing the shot.i want be so worried about him being able to harvest game ethically.he is wanting to go squirrel hunting.so that will take place thanksgiving morning.my da is going to sit with him the first three days of riffle so i can hunt than i will switch with him and let him go after them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom