Tower climber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question I have is, who knows who? Does the school board or superintendent know this tower climber and gave em the payday gig.

Nope, nobody knows this guy. We have dealt with this radio vendor for a few years and bought all our bus radios from him. We recently bought handhelds for all the schools in case of crisis and found that the schools cannot talk to each other. Now purchase a repeater and have it mounted on the highest point that the district owns. Here we are...

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before buying all those handhelds, y'all should have talked to PD to see who they use. I don't know Chief Corn, but I do know Chief Cole and Chief Foley from BPD and Mustang, they would have told you who they use, or sent you to us, Oklahoma City radio shop ( dept of OKC public safety) and we could have advised, or piggybacked off us like Yukon does. Out of curiosity, who did y'all use? We use Harris/Macon radios, and Harris has the maintenance contract for OKC currently.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked with two guys that were lineman in Ponca city in the late 60's at the Ponca city power plant in the summer after high school. During a thunder storm they were both on the same crew that were fixing a downed line. One was fixing the line, and for some reason the power came back on electrocuting one leaving him hanging from the line with one hand frozen. His bucket buddy used an axe to cut his hand off the line and drop him to the ground. They both ended up alive although one had only three fingers on his left hand. Red ended up being the line crew manager later on, and the other ended up as supervisor over all the linemen.
One of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

A little friend of mine growing up his father was a 'former' lineman. He had one arm. I never asked how it happened.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before buying all those handhelds, y'all should have talked to PD to see who they use. I don't know Chief Corn, but I do know Chief Cole and Chief Foley from BPD and Mustang, they would have told you who they use, or sent you to us, Oklahoma City radio shop ( dept of OKC public safety) and we could have advised, or piggybacked off us like Yukon does. Out of curiosity, who did y'all use? We use Harris/Macon radios, and Harris has the maintenance contract for OKC currently.

I know the school resource officers well for Yukon and know that we could not have afforded to get radios on their system. Like you said they piggyback on the OKC system and those radios are several hundred dollars each so that was out of question.

We used a local radio guy that is in the Yukon city just because we had done business with him before and seemed ok. I don't know if we will do business with him again as we seem to be getting taken to the cleaners this time.

He sold us some HYT TC 508 radios. They seem to be decent radios and decent online reviews. Not sure about the repeater as I haven't seen it yet. I have used Bolay radio with a previous employer and they were always very happy with them.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The handhelds would have been the only real cost, and its possible you could have got some surplus. They went from the Macom 7100, to the Harris XG75, and probably could have got a deal on the older radios, or something similar. The XG75's run close to 3k a piece I believe. However, long term, it would be cheaper as the infrastructure is in place, and is maintained by OKC. You wouldnt have FCC licensing, hardware to replace or upgrade, etc, just purchase and maintain the handhelds. If ya'll ever have questions, or need help, feel free to holler. I work for OKC IT, assigned to Public Safety Communications Support. I don't know a ton about radios, I do more the data communications, MDC/PC stuff for them, but do supervise the guys who handle both sides of OKC's radio system.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all the talk on budget problems in the schools, trying to find a cheaper alternative to paying $2,000 for the repeater install should have been paramount. Especially with the chance a public utility service may have completed the task for free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom