Treestand Scare Tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a big tree stand scare tonight...............crawled up at around 4 this evening, 18 ft up, Gorilla Hang on, portable stack on ladder, getting settled in, move to pull up my bow and then "SNAP" the bottom of the stand lurched sideways and i nearly crapped my pants, the nylon ratchet strap snapped in half and its only been used 1 year. (I weigh about 185 pounds) The seat part of the stand hung tight, thank goodness I put a ratchet strap on both the seat and the foot platform. Oh and I had my harness on, attached to a lifeline, so I was never not attached, just a great reminder that it can happen....and happen fast, always wear a harness and seriously...invest $80.00 on a 3 pack of HSS lifelines, they really work. Really they do. Without that harness being attached I would have fell 18 ft headfirst to the ground, shudder to think of what the outcome of that might have been.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I bet that was scary. I'm a two man ladder stand and safety harness man now. I've never been a lock on person.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was a close one. John Cunningham, the Payne County GW was setting up a ladder stand for his son, and told me he had no recollection of him falling. He just remembered waking up and managed to call 911. It ended up his career as a GW, and he still has issues a couple of years later. He is friends with Imhuntin.

I'm a ladder stand person myself. The most dangerous time is when putting one up or taking it down, except in Stickies case.

Was there any sign of a squirrel knawing on the strap sticky?

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No signs of any wear and tear on the strap, never had one just break...like I said it was only a year old and I don't leave my stands out year round so it's been in my strap/harness/accessories bag since Jan of last year here is a pic of where it broke ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446695818.476711.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you are still with us and ok brother.

Call me crazy, but I put new straps on mine this year and made sure the working load was 1250#. The 600# just aren't stout enough for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom