Treestand Scare Tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you are still with us and ok brother.

Call me crazy, but I put new straps on mine this year and made sure the working load was 1250#. The 600# just aren't stout enough for me.

Thanks Bassin! I am with you on that plan, going tomorrow to get some heavy duty high strength straps, crazy thing is...I almost didn't put on the harness, was just gonna hunt for an hour or so....it jerked the hell out of me but that prussic knot on the lifeline only let me slide about 3 feet, it was easy to get back on the ladder and climb down got to the ground and decided to go home..lol

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Bassin! I am with you on that plan, going tomorrow to get some heavy duty high strength straps, crazy thing is...I almost didn't put on the harness, was just gonna hunt for an hour or so....it jerked the hell out of me but that prussic knot on the lifeline only let me slide about 3 feet, it was easy to get back on the ladder and climb down got to the ground and decided to go home..lol

Glad you are ok! I've always worn a harness in the tree, but it wasn't until about two years ago that I started using a lifeline after doing some thinking about going up and down a tree and reading some stories. Forgot my lifeline once last year. I am proud to say I didn't push my luck and just hunted from the ground!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Buddy, feel free to call or text before climbing up and after getting down safely. Just for safety.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy, feel free to call or text before climbing up and after getting down safely. Just for safety.

Same here man, my problem where I was today is sketchy to zero cell service

That is excellent advice OB.
I've recently started sending my wife a text telling her which farm/stand I'll be sitting in that day, and when I get down send a text to see if I need to pick up anything at the store on the way home.

You never know when a person may fall, and not be able to get to a phone, plus be in an area where there is no service, aka my area, and it sounds like Sticky's.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I can't even imagine what that was like. You are proof what a safety harness is for. Glad you're ok brother.

Dennis, I've been doing the same thing. First time I hunted each stand I took a screenshot of my compass app that gave me lat and long of my stand, then texted them all to my ol lady with the stand names. Even if she doesn't remember which stand I tell her I'm hunting, at least she'll have a list of places to search and not roam the ranch blindly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I can't even imagine what that was like. You are proof what a safety harness is for. Glad you're ok brother.

Dennis, I've been doing the same thing. First time I hunted each stand I took a screenshot of my compass app that gave me lat and long of my stand, then texted them all to my ol lady with the stand names. Even if she doesn't remember which stand I tell her I'm hunting, at least she'll have a list of places to search and not roam the ranch blindly.

There is an IPhone app called scout look. It has a mapping system that uses google earth I suspect to take pics of your stand locations, and puts out a graphic that shows your scent cone direction depending on the wind direction. The latest upgrade has an option to "share". I haven't looked at it yet, but I suspect that screen shot could be forwarded to rescue units by a spouse should one not get home when your expected after its been sent to the spouse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom