Treestand Scare Tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
op is why I'll never use a tree stand ... same risk as climbing a tree any arborist experiences with a few major differences.

1. an arborist is climbing in daylight NOT at say 5AM in pitch darkness.
2. an arborist is using climbing rated equipment with safety ratings tested to established lab standards. vs deer tree stand climbing equipment quality can veri from good to down right dangerous.

much prefer to stalk my deer ...

===========

Tree Stand Safety

Falls from a tree stand are the leading cause of injuries during the gun deer season, according to a 2008 Wisconsin study, recently confirmed by a 2010 Ohio study. The good news is such falls are easily preventable. You can continue to gain the benefits that hunting from a tree stand delivers -- increased field of vision and avoiding detection by your prey -- while reducing your risk of injury if you follow a few simple safety tips.
Link to Video

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/treestand.html

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I knew about these sooner, I leave Sunday, had a scare last year, got lucky and my right foot landed square on top of a treestep on the way down, maybe they can mail it to me near my hunting spot.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate those small ratchet straps..Every one i ever purchased broke .
I favor good rope..Which is actually hard to find Good rope.
Glad you are all ok from these happenings.

I still climb the tree's with no ladders and sit on the limbs..I make rope tree house and chair while I am up in the tree.
Lucky so far been doing it that way 35 years..I did notice my fat butt don't climb those fat trunk trees like it did years ago.

Kind of feel I am getting soft.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I knew about these sooner, I leave Sunday, had a scare last year, got lucky and my right foot landed square on top of a treestep on the way down, maybe they can mail it to me near my hunting spot.
Pick one up at Academy, Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas, your life is worth it to your family.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn Sticky. I'm glad you're ok. Even a slight stand shift is enough to scare you. Let alone a broken strap. Reminds me that I have two harnesses that came with stands that I don't use "bought a more comfortable gorilla harness. If anyone wants one and is nearby, you're welcome to one.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dennishoddy said:
That was a close one. John Cunningham, the Payne County GW was setting up a ladder stand for his son, and told me he had no recollection of him falling. He just remembered waking up and managed to call 911. It ended up his career as a GW, and he still has issues a couple of years later.
He told his story on Outdoor Oklahoma this season; I think it was on the week before last (it was after the Caddo Archers episode). Doesn't look like they have it up on YouTube yet, but it's a heck of an attention-getting story. He had to call his son repeatedly so he could get the emergency responders headed his way.

Y'all be careful out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom