Trimming Pistol Cases?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you trim pistol cases when reloading?

• Yes - but only for magnum/hot loads.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only pistol cases I trim is 44-40 and it usualy just takes once and were good to go never have to trim again.
The reason for trimming is the cast boolit I use requires me to crimp over the front drive band to control OAL
for a lever gun.
The rest I never trim and that starts at 9MM and goes to 45C.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never trimmed any straight walled pistol brass. If it shot well the first time, your good to go.
There is nothing in the design of them to cause them to stretch.
.357 sig? Don't load them, but I'd have to check them a few times after being shot before coming to any conclusion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it new or used?
I know it head spaces off of the case, but I can't say how many rounds I've shot in USPSA matches, and picked up brass afterward that has never exceeded MOL for .45ACP. Some have been reloaded dozens of times.
I'm always up for a new learning experience.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never do for .45acp... i'd swear they actually shrink...
Have noticed what seems that way too, wondering if it holds for other semi-auto calibers.

... the cast boolit I use requires me to crimp over the front drive band to control OAL for a lever gun. The rest I never trim and that starts at 9MM and goes to 45C.
Any similar issues with .45 Colt and lever guns? Or is it just the particular boolit?

I know it head spaces off of the case, but I can't say how many rounds I've shot in USPSA matches, and picked up brass afterward that has never exceeded MOL for .45ACP.
Speaking of headspacing off the case - anyone have experience with .30 Carbine? Wondering if its not-quite-straight-walled case might be an exception.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hoov, I don't have an answer. My .44 mag loads are hot enough to slightly flatten the primer, and have been reloaded dozens of times after getting enough for a stash. I've given up checking case length on them as it never changes.
Are they random head stamps?

Latest posts

Top Bottom