Truck or SUV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So last week I was in a pretty legit accident. My truck is most likely totaled so i'm on the hunt for something new. It might be the concussion from the accident but i'm thinking about switching to an SUV. I've driven full size Ford's for basically my entire adult life. Never had a single issue with one of them. But damn, they are EXPENSIVE. I bought my last one (2012 FX4, fully loaded) while I was still married. I can't justify taking on that kind of debt again on my single income. There are a few decent F150's out there but in my price range, the mileage is higher than I would like.

So, has anyone switched from a truck to an SUV? My girlfriend or whatever she is (its complicated, to say the least) says I need to get another truck or I'll regret it. I agree with her but part of me keeps coming back to buying an SUV. Maybe like a Ford Escape with AWD for
20k and low miles. The best deal on a F150 i've found with under 50k miles is around 30k. I can swing that but is it really worth it???? I hunt and fish and used my truck but outside of my hauling my four wheeler, most of the stuff I do doesn't REQUIRE a bed, its just nice to have. I'm also hesitant to spend 20-25k on a used F150 with 85k+ miles, which is about all I've found.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you gonna use the Ford Escape to hunt? What are you going to do with your 4Wheeler?

That being said, I don't know how most people afford the newer trucks anymore.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you gonna use the Ford Escape to hunt? What are you going to do with your 4Wheeler?

That being said, I don't know how most people afford the newer trucks anymore.

No ****. Jeez, I get people making comments all the time about my car - I've got a 2009 370z - and how it must be nice to be able to afford that, ect. Yeah, right, it looks flashy, but come on, I spent $25k on the thing used. That big-ass truck you're driving was 2x that or MORE! Maybe 3x in some instances. It just drives me nuts, I cannot fathom spending that much on a vehicle that's not a specialty high-end performance car or something. Yeah, I'd spend the $110k on a GT-R, but that's a whole different beast. No way that thing's gonna be a daily driver, ya know?

Trucks are crazy high. If you spend high dollars on an SUV, are you gonna be willing to take it out in the woods and get it scratched up? Would you feel differently if you spent the same amount on a truck? Is it more acceptable to "beat on" a pickup than an SUV? I've got a family, so it was a no-brainer for me - Tahoe all the way. But I still want an old truck or a Scout or a Bronco or Blazer for hunting. Take that, Okie4570! :P lol

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from SUV to Truck, there was just too much unused space in the suv to heat/cool and keep clean. You could get a pickup and get a camper shell so you kinda have two in one.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No ****. Jeez, I get people making comments all the time about my car - I've got a 2009 370z - and how it must be nice to be able to afford that, ect. Yeah, right, it looks flashy, but come on, I spent $25k on the thing used. That big-ass truck you're driving was 2x that or MORE! Maybe 3x in some instances. It just drives me nuts, I cannot fathom spending that much on a vehicle that's not a specialty high-end performance car or something. Yeah, I'd spend the $110k on a GT-R, but that's a whole different beast. No way that thing's gonna be a daily driver, ya know?

Trucks are crazy high. If you spend high dollars on an SUV, are you gonna be willing to take it out in the woods and get it scratched up? Would you feel differently if you spent the same amount on a truck? Is it more acceptable to "beat on" a pickup than an SUV? I've got a family, so it was a no-brainer for me - Tahoe all the way. But I still want an old truck or a Scout or a Bronco or Blazer for hunting. Take that, Okie4570! :P lol

Those were made of steel....and brawn! Therefore not considered a "SUV". :)

Here's what he needs......... no A/C, no power steering, no power brakes, drum brakes all around, I6 three speed on the column. Sips the fuel and barely has 100hp :)

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150914_193638_zpslvkhaad9.jpg

CT Scan came back normal! I am leaning more towards a truck but I just hesitate to drop 25-30k again on a used truck with high mileage. Its a tough spot to be in!

I here what you mean, I'm getting rid of my CNG F250 and going back to diesel.....prices are a little high, and if it's a deal, you'd better to be ready to go buy that day.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent 6,000 on the purchase of a vehicle once.
Hated spending that much.. each extra dink it acquired i wanted to KILL someone.
I will beat your A44 for messing up something expensive of mine.

So i drive stuff i built on the cheap. and take all my rigs hunting and fishing..Even my geo metro will tow my bayliner ..Heck i hauled 1600 lbs of rock in it back to Yukon 160 miles away from where i got them.

I say get something cheap..point a to b and install a trailer hitch.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthre...e-smoke-out-of-my-1957-chevy!!!&highlight=geo

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?172480-Camo-geo&highlight=geo

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Same deal here..... someone said something about my GS460 and I paid less than a new Honda for it. Meanwhile he just bought a 2015 F-150 Platinum. $40-60K for trucks nowdays if you want any sort of options.

Latest posts

Top Bottom