Truck won't start!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just came from a parking lot where I was trying to help get my brother in law's pickup started. He's got an 07 Ram that's hardly making a sound when you try to start it. Had him turn on the lights and try to start it to see if they dimmed to see if perhaps the battery was low and it appears to be a strong battery, we went ahead and tried to jump it just for kicks and that made no difference at all. I've replaced a lot of bad batteries and bad starters over the years so I'm familiar with clicks and no response at all from an ignition turn, but this is a little different. When you try to start it there is a high pitched whine of sorts, sounds as though it's coming from the alternator or in that general area. The noise kinda sounds like a tiny little electric motor that is bound up. Anybody got any ideas what he may be up against?

Also curious to know if anyone knows of a "mobile mechanic" type operation? I get the feeling that this is the kind of deal where an educated or experienced mechanic would take a listen and know right away what's going on because it's kind of a unique noise.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sight-un-seen diagnosis from my tower in the internet, is that you need a new alternater.

Edit: easiest next thing to check. Seriously
Check the easiest things first.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There might be a guy on this board who runs a wrecker service in OKC that might have a phone number very similar to 948-0008 who might give a 15% discount to an OSA member.

Latest posts

Top Bottom