Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Browning Maxus 12ga that I plan on using for turkey this spring. I'm going to take it out this week to get an idea on pattern and range since I have no clue about that. It will chamber up to 3 1/2". I have various chokes....full and turkey. I don't really know if there is a lot of difference in these chokes.
Patterning different shells through each choke can be an eye opening experience. Sometimes you will find a combo that stands out among the others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I turkey hunted maybe 8-10 times in 3-4 year period back in the very early 90's....got two birds.

I didn't want to mess up my Browning A5 so I went to a pawn shop and bought a well used 2 3/4" Winchester 840 single shot that had a 30" barrel and a full choke.....got my buddy at the gunsmith shop to reblue it for me for nothing and I refinished the wood and it turned out looking pretty good.

I shot max load Activ Penetrator lead #6's through it (still have 32 rounds) and I swear that thing would kill on one end and maim on the other.....the recoil was pretty stout.

Gave the shotgun to my son in Ga. in 2009 and I still have my camo turkey vest and some box and slate calls......dam near choked to death trying to use a mouth diaphragm once but that's a story for another day. :)

w840.jpg

activ.jpg

ElmerFudd

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve killed many birds in the past with 2.75” shells and a full choke. For the last two years, I’ve used 3.5” shells with a turkey choke. With no more than I’ll be shooting, I can handle the increased recoil. I feel fairly confident out to around 60 yards. Of course, I like for them to be closer, but I like knowing that I can reach out to around 60 yards or so.

Like some of you have said, the prep work is just as fun as the actual hunt. I’ve seen a good number of birds in the last month or so along the highway. Now it’s getting time to start doing some scouting along with finding and organizing my gear.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I turkey hunted maybe 8-10 times in 3-4 year period back in the very early 90's....got two birds.

I didn't want to mess up my Browning A5 so I went to a pawn shop and bought a well used 2 3/4" Winchester 840 single shot that had a 30" barrel and a full choke.....got my buddy at the gunsmith shop to reblue it for me for nothing and I refinished the wood and it turned out looking pretty good.

I shot max load Activ Penetrator lead #6's through it (still have 32 rounds) and I swear that thing would kill on one end and maim on the other.....the recoil was pretty stout.

Gave the shotgun to my son in Ga. in 2009 and I still have my camo turkey vest and some box and slate calls......dam near choked to death trying to use a mouth diaphragm once but that's a story for another day. :)

View attachment 459280

View attachment 459281
I still have some Activ steel shot ammo from the early to mid 90’s. That stuff was all the rage with the guys I duck hunted with back then.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have some Activ steel shot ammo from the early to mid 90’s. That stuff was all the rage with the guys I duck hunted with back then.
I've still got six boxes of 12 ga. Activ 2 3/4" #3 steel (sticker price $10.36) that was my favorite shell back in the late 80's and early 90's on waterfowl.....it's been sitting in the hall closet for a little over 30 years but I have no doubts that it would still go boom and blow the lips plum off of a duck today. :)

Activ 12 ga..jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom