Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's crazy. That's definitely not the case today in Oklahoma. What happened to increase their population so much?
It was the same way in Oklahoma during the 60's and much of the 70's even. Guys that I know in Grant County said the only place you'd find deer was occasionally along the river.

"The white-tailed deer is the most popular big game animal in Oklahoma, which is remarkable considering its near extinction at the turn of the century. A brief history of the white-tailed deer in Oklahoma reads as follows: 1870s-deer abundant; 1890s-reckless over-harvest by settlers; 1910s-barely 500 remain and deer seasons close; 1930s-restoration begins; 1980s-stable and abundant statewide herd restored. Thanks to the hard work of generations of conservationists, the deer population has been restored to its former glory."

From the odwc site.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It was the same way in Oklahoma during the 60's and much of the 70's even. Guys that I know in Grant County said the only place you'd find deer was occasionally along the river.

"The white-tailed deer is the most popular big game animal in Oklahoma, which is remarkable considering its near extinction at the turn of the century. A brief history of the white-tailed deer in Oklahoma reads as follows: 1870s-deer abundant; 1890s-reckless over-harvest by settlers; 1910s-barely 500 remain and deer seasons close; 1930s-restoration begins; 1980s-stable and abundant statewide herd restored. Thanks to the hard work of generations of conservationists, the deer population has been restored to its former glory."

From the odwc site.
Wow I had no idea. Did guys just bird hunt?

Also appreciate any older guys on here. Restoring the herd for future generations is a sign of a good society.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Also appreciate any older guys on here. Restoring the herd for future generations is a sign of a good society.

Quail, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese, doves, prairie chickens and turkeys. Pheasant are kind of "new" on the scene compared to the rest. That's why shotguns and .22lr ruled for decades. You could kill everything in Oklahoma with them. Eventually shotgun slugs for deer because everyone had a shotgun but not everyone had a centerfire rifle.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As a kid in the 70’s, we hunted quail and ducks on family land southwest of Jet, and I don’t remember seeing a single deer until the early 80’s. I actually still have the mental picture of this little buck running out the end of a locust grove as the bird dog worked it. After losing the majority of the land we hunted to the OKC Hunting Club in the mid 80’s, I didn’t come up much until my Dad bought a place in 2003. After not seeing any deer as a kid, I was shocked by the number of deer in NW Oklahoma.

I also don’t remember seeing a single turkey in all of the hunts growing up. The first turkeys I saw were on the place I have now in the early 2000’s, and there’s been a steady decline in numbers since then.

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't a deer hunter yet but after returning from VN and before going to Libya I hunted Kan. hot and heavy every Sat. and Sun. in 75' and 76' for about anything in season which was pretty much pheasants, quail, rabbits and squirrels.....wasn't really looking for them but I don't recall ever seeing a deer so I guess the deer population was pretty low during that period also.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What’s interesting is that poor management and over hunting resulted in the same nearly nonexistent deer population in east TX until the mid 80’s too. I saw my first deer in the woods while squirrel hunting with my Grandfather in 1978. My Grandfather used to go to south Texas (Bracketville) to deer hunt in the 60’s and 70’s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom