Twinkie Confession

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So S4F... Are you telling me that if your employer was going to cut your pay to LESS than you would make on unemployment you would keep that job?

It's my understanding (with absoluetly no hard evidence) Hostess wanted wage and benefit concessions equaling 8%. If they are working for 8% over unemployment, they would probably be better off unemployed. The they can join in internet discussions like this.
Or their unemployment insurance is a heck of a lot better than Oklahoma's.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my understanding (with absoluetly no hard evidence) Hostess wanted wage and benefit concessions equaling 8%. If they are working for 8% over unemployment, they would probably be better off unemployed. The they can join in internet discussions like this.
Or their unemployment insurance is a heck of a lot better than Oklahoma's.

From what I've read their average hourly wage was 11.25/hr. At 40 hours, that's $450 a week. An 8% cut means $10/35/hr or $414 per week.
Max unemployment pays $420 a week, and frees up your time to look for another job, although they may not qualify for max unemployment. You can only squeeze the help so hard before they decide it's not worth it anymore...

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've read their average hourly wage was 11.25/hr. At 40 hours, that's $450 a week. An 8% cut means $10/35/hr or $414 per week.
Max unemployment pays $420 a week, and frees up your time to look for another job, although they may not qualify for max unemployment. You can only squeeze the help so hard before they decide it's not worth it anymore...

I think the wage & benefit concessions may be the key. If they can't work for $10.35 / hr. wage how could anyone possbly work for minimum wage. And the unemplyment insurance isn't supposed to be permanent. It's insurance contibuted to by you (through your employer at a level decided by the state) it has a termination point (supposedly).

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a business-insurance-union expert, but I play one on the internet.
I do know there are certain conditions that allow employers to contest unemployment benefits, I have had to attend those hearings (not by choice) and I never liked it.
I think if we want to go any further down this road, someone needs to start a Union vs Hostess thread.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They were going to get back 4% of the pay next year and then more later... I can't remember all the details.

Besides that, unemployment doesn't come anywhere near the maximum payout for that wage level so they'd be getting much less AND no benefits at all.

I'd have taken the cut and still been employed right now. Didn't Obummer say we all have to cut back a little??? :anyone:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen.

Sorry brother, this is all that's left... mmm they were tasty. :)

i48.tinypic.com_vawqv.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom