Unique case lube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use unique for sizing. I lube them as I size them. I just put the lightest film I can on the cases, it doesn't take much. Every 4th or 5th case I will put some on the inner lip of one to keep the expander lubed. Never had a stuck case.

Then trim, chamfer, de-burr, neck brush, charge, and seat. All with lots of measuring thrown in.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the home made dillon lube, and I also use imperial sizing die wax in some instances. Both are very good. When doing large quantities on the dillon, I do as Dennis said and spray the heck out of them. works fine.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Unique and I really like it. I don't generally get any around the mouth, but sometimes I give it another go in the rock tumbler to get any residual off. I've tried lanolin and many other brands of sprays. Not a real big fan. I had a set of Redding dies that hated the stuff. That is why I decided to try Unique it seems to work way better as a lube and re-sizing is much easier. Doesn't take much at all to do the job.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to spray the inside of the necks, the Hornady is the one to use. It dries and is a stiff wax so it's not sticky. The thing with the Hornady is you have to use a lot of it or you will stick a case. I use something like a dillon lube but I tumble my cases before loading. I'm anal and don't like dealing with lubed cases when powder charging and I've been known to tumble my finished rounds too.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to spray the inside of the necks, the Hornady is the one to use. It dries and is a stiff wax so it's not sticky. The thing with the Hornady is you have to use a lot of it or you will stick a case. I use something like a dillon lube but I tumble my cases before loading. I'm anal and don't like dealing with lubed cases when powder charging and I've been known to tumble my finished rounds too.

I should have been more clear, I don't spray the inside of the necks with the home made Dillon lube, I usually have the cases laying on their side in a square pan, rolling them as I spray. I do get a small amount of lube in the case neck, but to this point, I can't tell that it has degraded the loads in any way. I usually tumble in dry media after loaded to get the residual lube off. On bottle neck cases, the unique causes dents in the shoulder if not applied just right. There is a fine point between enough and sticking cases with it. I do use the unique in swaging bullets though, its about as good as any lube I've tried when making 223 bullets.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should have been more clear, I don't spray the inside of the necks with the home made Dillon lube, I usually have the cases laying on their side in a square pan, rolling them as I spray. I do get a small amount of lube in the case neck, but to this point, I can't tell that it has degraded the loads in any way. I usually tumble in dry media after loaded to get the residual lube off. On bottle neck cases, the unique causes dents in the shoulder if not applied just right. There is a fine point between enough and sticking cases with it. I do use the unique in swaging bullets though, its about as good as any lube I've tried when making 223 bullets.

I've never used the Unique lube, my default for small scale bottleneck cases is Imperial. I've used Hornady One Shot case sizing wax that comes in the tin like Imperial melted into denatured alcohol with good results when using a spray bottle on large batches of .223. I use a dry lube on the inside of the necks. I'm going to try the Imperial with alcohol next to see if it melts. I use a dillon trimmer for large batches so a sprayable lube is just about mandatory. And I hear you on that fine line. .375 Winchester has about a .020" taper from front to back, so it's almost a straight wall. But that's just enough taper to make life miserable when not lubing correctly and they will tell you real quick how good Imperial is. :D I've never had any luck with any other lube on that caliber, just a tiny amount will give you lube dents, and we all know what too little does.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 375 win as well, and you are correct in that they don't like much beyond imperial.. I'll be interested in your results with melting the imnperial with alcohol. I know that the unique doesn't dissolve in alcohol, tried that and failed...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Powder compatible on the Hornady unique case lube I say NO.
Or yes.

It will not hurt to shoot but may make the groups larger.
I left some inside my neck after full length sizing. inother words I forgot to swab the neck clean inside..or tumble clean like many here do after sizing.

The little bit that got on some powder granules from one opened up my group.. that round looked like a flier.
The neck was swabbed clean like the rest of them but it was after the powder was added to the case.

This was during my multiple firing of 1 Lapua .308 case to see when it would fail.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Powder compatible on the Hornady unique case lube I say NO.
Or yes.

It will not hurt to shoot but may make the groups larger.
I left some inside my neck after full length sizing. inother words I forgot to swab the neck clean inside..or tumble clean like many here do after sizing.

The little bit that got on some powder granules from one opened up my group.. that round looked like a flier.
The neck was swabbed clean like the rest of them but it was after the powder was added to the case.

This was during my multiple firing of 1 Lapua .308 case to see when it would fail.

Please try this with Hornady One Shot Case Lube as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom