Unlawful to not pull over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid but I need some clarification. I have noticed a dramatic increase in unmarked, "everyday" vehicles being used by law enforcement. These vehicles include cars, trucks, and SUVs that appear normal other than the emergency lights mounted above rear view mirror.

Are you required by law to pull over for an unmarked, no typical vehicle?

After watching those stupid ID shows that my wife watches 24-7, this got me wondering. One of the episodes addressed this issue because some scumbag was using a crown vic with mounted lights to pull over women in order to abduct them. Again, stupid question but am still wondering!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not agree with departments using unmarked cars for traffic stops, simply for the safety reasons you stated above. However, it is routinely done everywhere.

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our std policy in our family is we will NOT stop for one unless its at a very public place. They will just have to follow us till that point. The law states stopping in a safe area and stopping for a strange vehicle is not safe

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe it's been suggested that you call 911 and they can confirm. The officers on here can give you a better answer I'm sure.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not agree with departments using unmarked cars for traffic stops, simply for the safety reasons you stated above. However, it is routinely done everywhere.

The OSU police have several unmarked vehicles. An older model white Dodge truck and an older model white Tahoe I think. And they are GOOD. I've tried finding the lights and couldn't, even though I knew they were there. I never would have known about them if I hadn't seen them respond to emergencies on campus.

I don't agree with it either...especially for a campus PD.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to hear an honest answer from a lawyer or leo regarding this.

I've heard that you don't have to pull over immediately if you feel that the circumstances are not safe (lighting/traffic, etc). I suppose one could put on the hazard lights and try placing a call to 911 to try verifying that the vehicle is legit. Then again, this is all conjecture...

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest calling 911. Make sure if you are not going to immediatly pull over that you do not violate any other traffic laws (stop sign, red light, speed limit...) you still could potentially face a "failure to yield to an emergency vehicle" charge, but it all depends. My department has a specific policy that addresses the uniform required if working traffic in an unmarked vehicle. There are also state statutes for unmarked emergency vehicles ( don't know off the top of my head).

Latest posts

Top Bottom