Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They wanted me awake for the one I had back in the 90's. But they told me if I didn't behave they would put me out. I had no idea what they meant by that until I woke up later. Apparently after they drugged me and put that thing down my throat I kept trying to say "I wanted to see (the monitor)". I guess it's not good for you to try and talk during that.

This would SO be me!!!

I tried to talk them into letting me stay awake for my last colonoscopy. I hope I get the same anesthesiologist (I know, slim and none) because I could REALLY have some fun then!! He was real young and MORTIFIED that he might have to monitor an awake patient. LMAO! The doc and I snickered about it afterwards when he came to give me the "all clear". Poor kid broke out in a sweat and practically became wall-eyed with fear ... lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This would SO be me!!!

I tried to talk them into letting me stay awake for my last colonoscopy. I hope I get the same anesthesiologist (I know, slim and none) because I could REALLY have some fun then!! He was real young and MORTIFIED that he might have to monitor an awake patient. LMAO! The doc and I snickered about it afterwards when he came to give me the "all clear". Poor kid broke out in a sweat and practically became wall-eyed with fear ... lol

Speaking of colonoscopy, Men should start at 55 yrs old. (not sure of women as I don't identify as a woman), but get over it and DO IT!!
Myself and a lot of men reject the thought of something going in a part of their body that is designed to be an outy.
My wife, the ever diligent medical person finally got me an appointment to get er done despite my prognostications and promises to get an appointment.
I highly recommend the Doctor at Southwest Medical Center in Okc. (his name escapes me at the moment but I can get it)
He has a package to use the day before that actually allows you to eat some snacks, and the liquid you use is not like the "gallon" of stuff you had to endure in the past that made you want to puke to drink it.
It's a small amount of the liquid to "clean you out" taken every three hours or so.
The regimen is not bad at all, and I got a 10 year come back. No polyps, nothing. (completely out under anesthesia as I requested)
Same week, my grandkids other grandpa has been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Same age as myself and a high school friend.
6 months to a year. He was like me and refused to think he needed the test.
Had he done it earlier, his chances of seeing his grandkids would have been exponentially improved.

Guys, Girls, GET IT DONE!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a bleeding ulcer a few years ago that resulted in me getting scoped and electro-cauterized. I don't remember much as I was in and out of consciousness before the procedure due to blood loss, but I seem to recall it being fairly quick and painless.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, I am one that has long wanted to always be "in control." As such, I have always been somewhat aware of what is going on, even when asleep.

That said, my first colonoscopy was a wake-up call to me. There I was talking to this young blonde woman as another lady worked on preparing me for the procedure. This blonde woman just kept asking me questions, and I was very much at ease, even though I had never been under an anesthesia in all my life.

But suddenly, I awoke to a young brunette woman that was asking me if I wanted a Dr. Pepper. That sneaky blonde was obviously the anesthetist, and I learned that it was disconcerting to realize that for once, I was not in control.

I'm not sure I'll ever be the same or ever trust a blonde again.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful if they take your temperature before the procedure, the only way one can tell whether it's an oral thermometer or rectal is the taste.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a few done no worries I always felt great after the druds wore off. Had both done at the same time. As far as I KNOW they started at the top end lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colonoscopy to me is no big deal, I hate the prep part. I have had 3 so far and due another. Last one they did the upper GI at the same procedure which was good. 2 for 1...lol. I usually have 2 polyps removed when they due the colonoscopy. My wifes Dr used that $50 kit that Dennis was talking about. We go to the SW Medical Ctr also. She said was better than drinking the green bottle. Her Dr said she was good for 10 yrs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom