Vehicle Tags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have probably been given tickets they just keep driving. We can’t pull anyone over for a paper tag unless it’s 30 days past the date on the tag. Once we do pull them over, the usual excuse is “I was going to get it done on payday”, or “the dealership lost my title in the mail”. If they’re WAY out of date that’s usually a good sign of dopers with no insurance no license and maybe warrants.

I will say this.. Oklahoma just had a law go into effect November 1st, HB2259, which prevents LEOs from arresting folks for Failure to Pay or Failure to Appear warrants without first giving them a warning citation, at least that’s how every agency in my surrounding area reads it. If people with multiple warrants become unafraid to go out and do whatever they want because because they know they’re due a warning first, they’re going to get bold. There will also be less incentive to pay fines and tickets. Not to mention, at least in my area, warrant arrests were a major factor in getting drugs off the street.

So if you see cops losing interest in writing tickets it’s likely because they feel there isn’t a point. The only people that will pay for tickets are responsible citizens that we don’t like pulling over to begin with. The pieces of **** will keep being pieces of **** and nothing will happen to them.
That sounds awesome! So LEOs are going to simply focus on crimes with actual victims? Sounds like a better use of resources for sure!

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It works the other way as well. When I worked at the OSBI, one of my jobs was maintaining the criminal records. It was not unusual to see a case where the perpetrator was probably pulled over for speeding and the officer finding they the perp had a warrant. Many an arrest record with a felony warrant, driving while suspended, no insurance, etc.

You'd think that a "hardened" criminal would work hard to stay within the law if they had a warrant out on them.

Another thing I began to wonder about after doing that job for a while was when I saw a car with a lady driving and a guy in the passenger seat, did the guy have a suspended license?
A friend of mine had a saying: "Don't break the law when you are breaking the law."

Bruce G

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds awesome! So LEOs are going to simply focus on crimes with actual victims? Sounds like a better use of resources for sure!
Traffic stops are very useful tool for catching drunk drivers, people with outstanding felony warrants, people transporting narcotics, etc.. those matter more to me than writing Jim Bob a ticket for going 10 over because he’s late for work. If the latter is what you’re referring to as being a waste of resources, then I'm inclined to agree.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traffic stops are very useful tool for catching drunk drivers, people with outstanding felony warrants, people transporting narcotics, etc.. those matter more to me than writing Jim Bob a ticket for going 10 over because he’s late for work. If the latter is what you’re referring to as being a waste of resources, then I'm inclined to agree.
I've been stopped for speeding a few times in a few years. Results have been about 50/50 - half wanted to go on a fishing expedition, the other half were professional. As long as questions are unrelated to the alleged offence, they can just hold their breath.

Bruce G

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bruce, Thank you for trying to make Tahlequah a better place to live. You and your fellow LEOs have a very difficult, but very important role in society, and you seldom receive the gratitude you deserve.
Thanks David, definitely don’t deserve all that praise but it still feels good to hear. God bless you and your family.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It works the other way as well. When I worked at the OSBI, one of my jobs was maintaining the criminal records. It was not unusual to see a case where the perpetrator was probably pulled over for speeding and the officer finding they the perp had a warrant. Many an arrest record with a felony warrant, driving while suspended, no insurance, etc.

You'd think that a "hardened" criminal would work hard to stay within the law if they had a warrant out on them.

Another thing I began to wonder about after doing that job for a while was when I saw a car with a lady driving and a guy in the passenger seat, did the guy have a suspended license?
As to your last point my wife likes to drive so when we go anywhere we share the driving and that forces me to set in the passenger seat.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because state law enforcers enforce as directed by the state? "Protecting and serving" lol.

Well, the Secretary of Public Safety would be the DPS Commissioners boss, and the Secretary is appointed by Stitt. Do you not think if the head of the State has any influence directly or indirectly over the State Police? Or that the State AG, etc does not have any influence? You can actually serve concurrently as Secretary of Public Safety and Commissioner of DPS at the same time in OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom