Vermont becomes first state to ban hydraulic fracturing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every day of the week unless I'm on days off

Me too, who do you Frac for?

Yes I have.
I went out on a couple of frac sites a couple of years ago. At the time we manufactured the hoppers for Halliburton. All controlled by PLC'S.
The media used on the process was glass beads, pecan shells, or sand that was screened for consistancy, mixed with a slurry of drilling mud, then
Pumped into the wells that were about 2 miles deep. Then the frac'ing process started.
The pumps sent pulses into the slurry to fracture the surrounding rock/structure.
The deepest aquifer is around 2000' deep, and fracing is 2 miles deep in most cases.

That is a pretty good description.

Dumping hydrocarbons at the surface is not the same as injecting some highly diluted chemicals thousands of feet below the ground. Not a valid comparison.

Exactly. And the highly diluted chemicals are generally at most 2.5-3 gal of chemical per 1000 gal of fresh water.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of y'all ever been on a Frac location? Nope.

Know how it really works or anything about it.....? Yep.

Like Dennis said above, I'd dearly love for someone to explain how fraccing at 10,000+ feet in a well bore that's sealed before AND after the fracture zone can possibly contaminate my 300' water well.

For those that don't know there are 5280 feet in a mile. A 10,000' lateral in a gas well bore is almost two miles deep. Please someone, please enlighten me...

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I have.
I went out on a couple of frac sites a couple of years ago. At the time we manufactured the hoppers for Halliburton. All controlled by PLC'S.
The media used on the process was glass beads, pecan shells, or sand that was screened for consistancy, mixed with a slurry of drilling mud, then
Pumped into the wells that were about 2 miles deep. Then the frac'ing process started.
The pumps sent pulses into the slurry to fracture the surrounding rock/structure.
The deepest aquifer is around 2000' deep, and fracing is 2 miles deep in most cases.

So is there no pressure in the well bore at 2000'?

How deep were the wells in Montana where the EPA said fracking probably contaminated the water?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is pressure at 2000 feet. But the pressure is held by the casing. There is no fluid being displaced anywhere near 2000 feet. The shallowest well that I have frac'd is around 7000 vertical feet before the horizontal.

So around here, anyway, the wells should be deep enough to rule out all contamination.

What about other states, how deep (vertically) are their wells?

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So around here, anyway, the wells should be deep enough to rule out all contamination.

What about other states, how deep (vertically) are their wells?

I can't speak intelligently about how deep other states formations are. I have worked all over Oklahoma , parts of southern kansas , a good portion of Texas and a small portion of Arkansas. All of those places are far deeper than the water table. And I would assume that most wells would be.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are pretty good to work for and the pay is good. We work a 8 and 4 rotation which I really like. All the upper management is from SLB so there is alot of the same kind of stuff in place. That was probably one of the new WEIR Destiny pumps. As far as I know we dont have any in the field yet. They are a different animal. Its going to be interesting to see if the hold up as good as they claim

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As stated, there are NO Oil or Gas wells at the level of the Acquifer.
All of that happens much deeper.
The Bakken Shale oil in North Dakota can only be broght to the surface by frac'ing.
There is a new discovery in Alberta Canada that is bigger than Saudi, and Vensualla combined.
Its in sand, and easy to get out. The US gubberment is fighting it being brought into the US.
Obama won't allow the pipeline, and they are looking at China for a market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom