Vidalia onions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I read an article that mentioned caramelizing multiple onions at once since it takes so long then freeze in ziploc bags. Keep pretty thin in the ziploc and you can just break off a 'piece' or however much you need without thawing the entire bag. Think I may do this on Saturday/Sunday.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I read an article that mentioned caramelizing multiple onions at once since it takes so long then freeze in ziploc bags. Keep pretty thin in the ziploc and you can just break off a 'piece' or however much you need without thawing the entire bag. Think I may do this on Saturday/Sunday.
Do “kind of this method” with Hatch peppers. Got a 5lb bag of V onions as well yesterday, at Homeland.. NEVER thought of freezing them like this 🙏👍

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I can't say how many hours I've spent buying, roasting, skinning and prepping Hatch peppers for freezing over the years. What a PITA...and I eat a ton of chiles.

Several years ago I discovered 505Southwestern green chiles. Never looked back. I had a buddy swear nothing was as good as home roasted. Finally convinced him to try the 505s. He grudgingly admitted they were "pretty good". He'd helped me move from Idaho to OK and as he was leaving to go home he asked for a jar and where to get them. Told ya!

Only downside to them I can think of is they're chopped so they don't work as well in recipes that use whole peppers or slices. I don't care. I still love them and they're a helluva lot more convenient to use.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I can't say how many hours I've spent buying, roasting, skinning and prepping Hatch peppers for freezing over the years. What a PITA...and I eat a ton of chiles.

Several years ago I discovered 505Southwestern green chiles. Never looked back. I had a buddy swear nothing was as good as home roasted. Finally convinced him to try the 505s. He grudgingly admitted they were "pretty good". He'd helped me move from Idaho to OK and as he was leaving to go home he asked for a jar and where to get them. Told ya!

Only downside to them I can think of is they're chopped so they don't work as well in recipes that use whole peppers or slices. I don't care. I still love them and they're a helluva lot more convenient to use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 15

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with onions or peppers but if you take your okra and prepare it for frying and spread it on a cookie sheet then freeze and after frozen put in a ziplock bag you only have to take out what you need instead of thawing the whole bag, now if your like me you can never cook too much fried okra.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
**OFF TOPIC: It's a small world story**

When I lived in Idaho there was no local source for 505Southwestern chiles. Walmart finally started carrying them online in the small jars...12oz, maybe, for like $2.48 a jar. As soon as I'd get an "In Stock" email I'd order all I could. I think when I left Idaho and moved to Oklahoma I packed about 82 jars of chiles.

Several months after I moved to my place in Olustee I was talking to the lady that was my realtor when I bought the place. She said she was driving by and pointed out my place to her lady client. She told her I'd recently moved there from Idaho. This client worked in a Walmart warehouse in Wichita Falls, I think, and told her about some crazy guy in Idaho that ordered 505 chiles by the crate. She said she'd packed 100 or more jars over a few months to be sent to Idaho. Yep...that was me.

What are the odds of that happening?

ETA: All of those jars are long gone, BTW. Luckily I can get the big 40oz jars here.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, threads get "Hi-Jacked" but sometimes it is not all bad. First of all, yes I have had leftover onions, usually mixed with some kinds of peppers and mushrooms and frozen flat in zip bags to break off what I need. I never thought about intentionally getting Vidalia's on purpose to do that. Thanks for the thought. They are now on the grocery list and I might have to try the slow cooker method. Thanks for posting.

I also frequently freeze a lot of stuff in the larger than cupcake "mini loaf" pans, chili, ham and beans, mac and cheese, sausage gravy, etc, but looking at the sites you posted, I never thought about using the plastic wrap to clean out easily, thanks for that also.

Like others have posted, I have roasted and pealed more than my fair share of Hatch peppers. I will take a look for the 505's to see how they work for me. Checking on line it seems I have two WM's that are supposed to have them in stock. Ha.

Thanks to everyone for posting.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I chop the raw Vidalias, stuff portion in a snack size bag, put several of those in a gallon freezer bag. Only good for cooking with as they are soft but great in chili or stew. Will keep for about a year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom