Onion rings anyone? Best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little diner in Hobbs, New Mexico; Casey's has the best . Wif has their onion rings for breakfast.

Took me a few tries, but I figured them out. Saves me the drive to get her onion fix.

Thin sliced, 1015 onion, I prefer red, soak in Half n Half. Mix 1/2 cup corn meal, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, garlic powder, black pepper. Add onion ring, shake, let sit for 2 minutes, shake, fry.
Oil is HOT, flash fry, doesn't take long, golden and crispy.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little diner in Hobbs, New Mexico; Casey's has the best . Wif has their onion rings for breakfast.

Took me a few tries, but I figured them out. Saves me the drive to get her onion fix.

Thin sliced, 1015 onion, I prefer red, soak in Half n Half. Mix 1/2 cup corn meal, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, garlic powder, black pepper. Add onion ring, shake, let sit for 2 minutes, shake, fry.
Oil is HOT, flash fry, doesn't take long, golden and crispy.
Thanks for the recipe. I'm definitely gonna give it a try.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was partial to the rings at Johnnie's in Norman, but they closed down during the Rona times. Sonic's rings are a reliable, predictable "meh," but edible. I recall the rings at Red Robin as being decent, but it has been several years since I had them.

The Garage started making onion rings last year. They have great burgers and pretty good fries, but they should've skipped the rings. The ones I got were waaaaay too greasy and didn't do anything to make up for it.

The rest of the onion rings I've tried have ranged from forgettable to severely disappointing, so I'm hoping to get some good recommendations.
Johnie’s aren’t bad for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom