Vidalia onions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I can't say how many hours I've spent buying, roasting, skinning and prepping Hatch peppers for freezing over the years. What a PITA...and I eat a ton of chiles.

Several years ago I discovered 505Southwestern green chiles. Never looked back. I had a buddy swear nothing was as good as home roasted. Finally convinced him to try the 505s. He grudgingly admitted they were "pretty good". He'd helped me move from Idaho to OK and as he was leaving to go home he asked for a jar and where to get them. Told ya!

Only downside to them I can think of is they're chopped so they don't work as well in recipes that use whole peppers or slices. I don't care. I still love them and they're a helluva lot more convenient to use.
Those are good. But be forewarned, the "use within X weeks" after opening isn't too far off. They have a bit of safety factor in of course, but they aren't pickled or fermented and they will most definity grow fine white'ish fuzz. I had to throw out a half jar! :cry11:

Gonna freeze half the jar when I get to Sam's next trip.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I can't say how many hours I've spent buying, roasting, skinning and prepping Hatch peppers for freezing over the years. What a PITA...and I eat a ton of chiles.

Several years ago I discovered 505Southwestern green chiles. Never looked back. I had a buddy swear nothing was as good as home roasted. Finally convinced him to try the 505s. He grudgingly admitted they were "pretty good". He'd helped me move from Idaho to OK and as he was leaving to go home he asked for a jar and where to get them. Told ya!

Only downside to them I can think of is they're chopped so they don't work as well in recipes that use whole peppers or slices. I don't care. I still love them and they're a helluva lot more convenient to use.
Will have to check out the 505’s - I get the fresh and roast, during season, from Fresh Chile out of Hatch NM. Rest of year I order the green jars. As stated no preservatives, so once opened, eat for 7-10 days, then freeze in whatever’s your preference. Yeah it’s a pain to roast and freeze, but I still have a few gallon ziplocks full from last year- lots of work, but break them out to put on a burger or chicken breast. Both are GOOD. Are the 505’s available in any particular store locally? Sorry if this has already been mentioned.. but I’d like to try them. Thanks!
(Ok, I googled 505’s… - Walmart and Amazon = 🙏👍)

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are good. But be forewarned, the "use within X weeks" after opening isn't too far off. They have a bit of safety factor in of course, but they aren't pickled or fermented and they will most definity grow fine white'ish fuzz. I had to throw out a half jar! :cry11:

Gonna freeze half the jar when I get to Sam's next trip.

I never have to worry about a jar going bad... 🤪 The small 12oz jars are usually gone in 2 or 3 days. The 40oz jars last about a week. I've frozen them before, too. That works just fine to keep them if you're not gonna eat them.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will have to check out the 505’s - I get the fresh and roast, during season, from Fresh Chile out of Hatch NM. Rest of year I order the green jars. As stated no preservatives, so once opened, eat for 7-10 days, then freeze in whatever’s your preference. Yeah it’s a pain to roast and freeze, but I still have a few gallon ziplocks full from last year- lots of work, but break them out to put on a burger or chicken breast. Both are GOOD. Are the 505’s available in any particular store locally? Sorry if this has already been mentioned.. but I’d like to try them. Thanks!
(Ok, I googled 505’s… - Walmart and Amazon = 🙏👍)
I got the big jar at Sam's Club.

I never have to worry about a jar going bad... 🤪 The small 12oz jars are usually gone in 2 or 3 days. The 40oz jars last about a week. I've frozen them before, too. That works just fine to keep them if you're not gonna eat them.
Dang! I don't eat but twice a day usually. No way I could go through a big jar in a week. I eat them often and on lots of stuff too. They wake Pace Picante sauce right up and that woken picante or the 505 straight goes on a lot of stuff in my house. :thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do “kind of this method” with Hatch peppers. Got a 5lb bag of V onions as well yesterday, at Homeland.. NEVER thought of freezing them like this 🙏👍
We buy Hatch Chili's by the case and have them blistered at the store we buy them from. Peeling doesn't take long and we seal them in vacuum bags for use down the road.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with onions or peppers but if you take your okra and prepare it for frying and spread it on a cookie sheet then freeze and after frozen put in a ziplock bag you only have to take out what you need instead of thawing the whole bag, now if your like me you can never cook too much fried okra.
If you don't do it already, add a teaspoon of baking powder to your breading to make it "stick" better. Works for any fried veggi's with breading or home made corn dogs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the big jar at Sam's Club.

Dang! I don't eat but twice a day usually. No way I could go through a big jar in a week. I eat them often and on lots of stuff too. They wake Pace Picante sauce right up and that woken picante or the 505 straight goes on a lot of stuff in my house. :thumb:
That 505 is good stuff to add to salsa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom