Waiting tables is a lost art ... but since it makes for heavily discounted meals ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Service is certainly a lost concept in the US, compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

^^^^^^This.

I blame smart phones. Service was better when people concentrated more on taking care of the customer and less on tweeting and "liking" becky's latest hairstyle or Kristens newest peircing on Facebook. Thats why they disappear for 15 minutes at a time.

BB you guys always get pooped on when you go out to eat. :(

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me: Unsweet iced tea, no lemon
*Waitress brings back iced tea with lemon*
Me: What's this? *picking up lemon*
Waitress: ???

I don't tip much a lot of times because of a single wedge of lemon and I'm the type of person that tips $4 on a $10 tab and I try to tip at least 30% even on huge tabs. If they cook my medium/medium rare steak well done I'll probably still tip but I absolutely cannot stand lemon in tea. Extremely bad service warrants a $0.01 tip because with that they'll get the idea that you weren't just being a cheap skate. Another pet peeve is when they sit down at your table, unless you're the freaking owner you don't do that... it's unprofessional.

I agree with buckeyes as far as most restaurants being the same crap served to you with different stuff on the walls. Most of them use the same vendors for everything.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing irks me more than folks who are OBVIOUSLY trying to get a meal comped. You know the type, complain about EVERY little imaginary thing (this was my sister-in-law) just as loudly and obnoxiously as they possibly can. It's embarrassing. When I go to complain it is quietly, I NEVER ask them what they are gonna do to make this right, and when I'm done I tell management thank you for taking the time to listen to me. But when they ask or offer, I'm on it like a fat kid on cake. My money doesn't grow on trees ... Opps, sorry GC ... GC's money doesn't grow on trees.

Maybe it's an OKC thing but we've quit eating at mom-and-pop places because the food is atrocious and the waitresses were all like Doris.

Don't get me wrong ... I am a fantastic tipper but the size of your tip is directly proportionate to the service I get. Seems I'm gonna be saving a LOT of money from now on.

Most of the time our service is at least decent. Seems I've just run onto a little luck lately!! (Or maybe we eat out WAY too much ... you know, percentages and all ...) ;)

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me: Unsweet iced tea, no lemon
*Waitress brings back iced tea with lemon*
Me: What's this? *picking up lemon*
Waitress: ???

I don't tip much a lot of times because of a single wedge of lemon and I'm the type of person that tips $4 on a $10 tab and I try to tip at least 30% even on huge tabs. If they cook my medium/medium rare steak well done I'll probably still tip but I absolutely cannot stand lemon in tea. Extremely bad service warrants a $0.01 tip because with that they'll get the idea that you weren't just being a cheap skate. Another pet peeve is when they sit down at your table, unless you're the freaking owner you don't do that... it's unprofessional.

I agree with buckeyes as far as most restaurants being the same crap served to you with different stuff on the walls. Most of them use the same vendors for everything.

they do that?

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear yeah, I cant stand going out anymore for this reason alone. I know most of the chains serves crap food but the ol lady like its. I normally start them out with 5 bucks depending on the amount we spend. Then, I start knocking off money normally 50 cents a time for anything I feel should be different. If I have to look around for our waiter to fill a drink, thats 50. If i have to ask another waiter for anything at all, 2.50. If they dont seem to care anything about my visit to there eatery they loose it all right then and there.

It was not my choice they wanted to wait tables, My brother has been a waiter for 7 or 8 years and it pisses him off something crazy by the way I do things. But it was my choice to come in and spend my money. If they dont do their jobs like they should, then they have earned every cent of that 2.10 an hour pay check they get. Its just like anything else, its not the product but the SERVICE!!!

And if they really piss me off I will leave them the smallest coin i have in my pocket. I have left a couple brown ones once or twice, but my fav is the good ol nickle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom