Was It All For Naught?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, we do need to open but people are dying because they refuse to follow the recommendations of medical authorities. Some refuse to wear masks and masks provide protection to others-not to the wearer. I guess we can't mandate that everyone wear a mask because the courts will side with the one that doesn't until enough people have died. I'm not an economist but it looks like lives or money-which is the most important? Both my wife and I wear a mask on our infrequent but rushed visits to the grocery store. We're in and out as quickly as possible.

You have to look at it like triage. When people are assigned to do triage they know that they will eventually have to say this person is going to die so that we can save 3 others. Its a tough choice. Right now we have to pick what will do the country more harm. Allow a virus that has a 98-99% survivability rate run its course OR have 20+% unemployment, which will devastate our nation's economy. This will create a bigger health hazard than covid19 could even dream of. Not to mention that the whole "flatten the curve" wasn't about preventing people from catching covid19, it was about slowing the rate of infection to a more manageable rate for local hospitals. Even with these measures the CDC was predicting 80% exposure to all US citizens within 2 years. So those people that have died from the virus, they statistically would have died anyway. In reality if you are concerned that your health right now would pose a significant chance you could die from covid19, you need to protect yourself. This includes not handling anything until its been wiped down with disinfectant, wearing gloves while you go out (and proper glove use) and not touching your face until you have sanitized your hand. Even if everyone wore a mask your risk of catching covid19 would only decrease slightly if at all. The main reason for this is covid19 is not airborne, its spread by respiratory droplets from an infected person getting onto a surface and another person touching that surface, then touching food they eat or touching a part of their body that has a thinner membrane of skin such as the face.

In short (too late, I know) everyone has an 80% chance of catching this virus, its just a matter of time. Those that will die from it will probably do so, regardless of the measures taken. These draconian measures will only ensure that the remaining people will have to suffer through yet another recession and possibly a depression that could be worse than the first one the US went through.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reality is that those who like Trump will see it all as "job well done" and those who do not like Trump will see that everything was done poorly, at best. There is not a black-white answer to the original question. How do you determine the number of lives that were saved by these measures?

If anything, we will not learn from this event, and will repeat, with greater polarization, next time.
BS, I kinda like Trump but he did a **** job. You don't shut down the economy and tell people they can't assemble, protest, go to church(I don't go anyway/but should be able to) can't freely move about. He F'ed up or was lied to or there is an alterior motive.
A1F50C49-2596-482F-9827-605F345406EA.png

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, we do need to open but people are dying because they refuse to follow the recommendations of medical authorities. Some refuse to wear masks and masks provide protection to others-not to the wearer. I guess we can't mandate that everyone wear a mask because the courts will side with the one that doesn't until enough people have died. I'm not an economist but it looks like lives or money-which is the most important? Both my wife and I wear a mask on our infrequent but rushed visits to the grocery store. We're in and out as quickly as possible.
Hygene probably isn't as good in Ukraine as it is here therefore more risky
Also, people die all the time. We can't stop Living because there is a chance someone might die.
We're all gonna die sometime. Carry on with life.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, I’m pretty proud of our country right now. Sure, there have been some stupid things done by folks that we elected, but there have been some really great things done by big corporations that quickly retooled to make ventilators, masks, sanitizer, etc. And there has been innovations by small businesses and individuals. High school technology classes learned how to make 3D printed parts for masks and such. Teachers found new ways to work with their students. Churches have found new ways to worship without being able to gather together.

All in all, I think we have done pretty well.

Now it’s time to get back to shooting stuff!

Whassamatta you? Sometimes you just post things that make too much sense.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, I’m pretty proud of our country right now. Sure, there have been some stupid things done by folks that we elected, but there have been some really great things done by big corporations that quickly retooled to make ventilators, masks, sanitizer, etc. And there has been innovations by small businesses and individuals. High school technology classes learned how to make 3D printed parts for masks and such. Teachers found new ways to work with their students. Churches have found new ways to worship without being able to gather together.

All in all, I think we have done pretty well.

Now it’s time to get back to shooting stuff!
I never quit going to the range. Why would ranges be shut down?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Observations from this weekend:
South Tulsa IHOP (a despicable place on it's best day) had every other table marked "Not Available" for social distancing. Staff all wore masks. Middle-aged women cackled incessantly as my wife and I ate our food.

Taco joint in East Tulsa - no masks or gloves worn by staff. No tables unavailable. Full place, loads of happy Mexicans eating delicious food. Some construction workers off for the day obviously imbibing, yet quiet and polite.

I truly believe the difference is in the "drama factor". South Tulsa drama queens/clientele who never saw a real hard time in their life versus immigrants from a Third World S-hole country, not getting worked up, continuing on life as usual.

I'll take the Mexicans over the alarmist, limp-wristed, panicked drama queens any day of the week. It's sad to see how quick so many folks are ready to shut down their livelihood and rely on the state. Social media outlets censoring opposing views on handling the situation? Why would an American be ok with that, and continue to support such nonsense?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to look at it like triage. When people are assigned to do triage they know that they will eventually have to say this person is going to die so that we can save 3 others. Its a tough choice. Right now we have to pick what will do the country more harm. Allow a virus that has a 98-99% survivability rate run its course OR have 20+% unemployment, which will devastate our nation's economy. This will create a bigger health hazard than covid19 could even dream of. Not to mention that the whole "flatten the curve" wasn't about preventing people from catching covid19, it was about slowing the rate of infection to a more manageable rate for local hospitals. Even with these measures the CDC was predicting 80% exposure to all US citizens within 2 years. So those people that have died from the virus, they statistically would have died anyway. In reality if you are concerned that your health right now would pose a significant chance you could die from covid19, you need to protect yourself. This includes not handling anything until its been wiped down with disinfectant, wearing gloves while you go out (and proper glove use) and not touching your face until you have sanitized your hand. Even if everyone wore a mask your risk of catching covid19 would only decrease slightly if at all. The main reason for this is covid19 is not airborne, its spread by respiratory droplets from an infected person getting onto a surface and another person touching that surface, then touching food they eat or touching a part of their body that has a thinner membrane of skin such as the face.

In short (too late, I know) everyone has an 80% chance of catching this virus, its just a matter of time. Those that will die from it will probably do so, regardless of the measures taken. These draconian measures will only ensure that the remaining people will have to suffer through yet another recession and possibly a depression that could be worse than the first one the US went through.

I think all we have done here is delay the inevitable. We have delayed the inevitable and stepped headlong into an undesirable consequence. If there is a resurgence of Covid infections as is being predicted, it will bear out the inevitability of this or any other typical infection of running its course.

Personally, I don't believe the consequence of all the shutdowns, social distancing, masks, etc., is an unintended consequence. As soon as some good news comes out about the Covid possibly passing its peak or otherwise slowing down, more fear mongering comes out to convince people that it still isn't safe to go out, engage in commerce, socialize, attend sports, worship with your fellow faithful, etc., etc., etc. I believe using this "crisis" is just another means to an end.

Woody

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Observations from this weekend:
South Tulsa IHOP (a despicable place on it's best day) had every other table marked "Not Available" for social distancing. Staff all wore masks. Middle-aged women cackled incessantly as my wife and I ate our food.

Taco joint in East Tulsa - no masks or gloves worn by staff. No tables unavailable. Full place, loads of happy Mexicans eating delicious food. Some construction workers off for the day obviously imbibing, yet quiet and polite.

I truly believe the difference is in the "drama factor". South Tulsa drama queens/clientele who never saw a real hard time in their life versus immigrants from a Third World S-hole country, not getting worked up, continuing on life as usual.

I'll take the Mexicans over the alarmist, limp-wristed, panicked drama queens any day of the week. It's sad to see how quick so many folks are ready to shut down their livelihood and rely on the state. Social media outlets censoring opposing views on handling the situation? Why would an American be ok with that, and continue to support such nonsense?

Which south Tulsa IHOP do you speak of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom