We Tried to Pronounce Oklahoma Town Names

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Arguing About The Pronunciation of The Town​

Two tourists were driving through Louisiana. As they were approaching Natchitoches, they started arguing about the pronunciation of the town. They argued back and forth until they stopped for lunch. As they stood at the counter, one tourist asked the employee, "Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are... very slowly?"

The girl leaned over the counter and said, "Burrrrrrrr, gerrrrrrr, Kiiiiing."

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Arguing About The Pronunciation of The Town​

Two tourists were driving through Louisiana. As they were approaching Natchitoches, they started arguing about the pronunciation of the town. They argued back and forth until they stopped for lunch. As they stood at the counter, one tourist asked the employee, "Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are... very slowly?"

The girl leaned over the counter and said, "Burrrrrrrr, gerrrrrrr, Kiiiiing."
That reminds me of a Born Loser cartoon from the '80s. The protagonist of the strip starts by asking his boss if the capital of California is pronounced "la hoya" or "la jolla." The boss replies "Sacramento," to which the protagonist says, "boy, it sure isn't spelled like it sounds."

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason I always have trouble with Okmulgee. I feel like I'm about to huck up a loogie trying to say it. But I'm just glad I don't live downtown main street here!
Screenshot_20240217_143313_Maps.jpg

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think I have ever told a sales person or whatever where I’m from without having to spell Pawhuska
It could be that anyone I know from anywhere in Osage County is not pronouncing each syllable so the spelling might be guessed. Typically pronounced as a mushed together word that sounds like “Puska” for those living further than one county away.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It could be that anyone I know from anywhere in Osage County is not pronouncing each syllable so the spelling might be guessed. Typically pronounced as a mushed together word that sounds like “Puska” for those living further than one county away.
lol I have heard that lol

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have service companies call me and ask if I service “ taleekkwah” they mean Tahlequah, I always tell them they have to pronounce it right before I’ll go, screws with em a bit ! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom