Weird question came up today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoisitrlly

Marksman
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So the other day, I went to the ER for a concussion. Pretty bad one, and my 7th in 8 years. I'm fine and all now, no big deal. But when I was checking in and going through triage, I was asked a question that I have been asked many many times, that we all answer every time we get medical care. Usually it is just a mindless response, but it made me think. The question of "do you want to hurt yourself or someone else, or have you had thoughts of suicide?" All too often is just answered with a mindless "no".

But I was wondering, what actually happens if a person were to answer yes? What happens to your right to bear arms? Concealed carry? Any security clearances or high level certifications? Do you get booked into a mental health facility, or can you refuse? How it has always seemed, if you were to answer yes to that question, it is a sure way to screw yourself, and you're not doing yourself any favors.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you asking this because you actually want to hurt someone or yourself? I would suggest if you do to have someone that you can trust hang on to your guns and go speak to someone that can help you. There are a lot of good people on here but that is something a doctor should be dealing with. If you were just asking, I couldn't give you an answer. I would probably guess that they would immidiately place you under their custody. They aren't just gonna let you walk out knowing the state you are in. And once you have been evaluated the doctors will make a determination as to your mental health. If they decide you are a danger I would guess they would send you to inpatient treatment. The rest I am not sure. I'm not an expert on the laws of our state. But I do know if you have been in an inpatient treatment facility you cannot have a handgun license. Unless it has been over three years and you are not on any medicine for mental reasons. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Again I am not an expert so take my answer for what you will.

Whoisitrlly

Marksman
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Are you asking this because you actually want to hurt someone or yourself? I would suggest if you do to have someone that you can trust hang on to your guns and go speak to someone that can help you. There are a lot of good people on here but that is something a doctor should be dealing with. If you were just asking, I couldn't give you an answer. I would probably guess that they would immidiately place you under their custody. They aren't just gonna let you walk out knowing the state you are in. And once you have been evaluated the doctors will make a determination as to your mental health. If they decide you are a danger I would guess they would send you to inpatient treatment. The rest I am not sure. I'm not an expert on the laws of our state. But I do know if you have been in an inpatient treatment facility you cannot have a handgun license. Unless it has been over three years and you are not on any medicine for mental reasons. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Again I am not an expert so take my answer for what you will.

This was just an honest question. Something that popped into my mind. I do not, nor have I ever wanted to hurt myself, or someone else outside of the normal getting into a fist fight and such. However recently, i have had the thought of suicide pop into my head. Not that I want to, nor do I entertain it. But the idea. No idea where it came from, I repeat, I don't want to nor do I have any intention of it, but I was merely wondering. I came into here to see what would happen, and for advice, not to get reported. Hence the anonymous username. I have had a couple of buddies who were all against suicide and sticking together after we got back from the sandbox, and had great lives, who ended up out of nowhere taking their own lives. I'm just asking a question.

And jimmy, lot of different things. Football, a fight, hitting myself with a prybar when it slipped. Just life I guess.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a basic screening for a mental health evaluation for post head injuries. There are some head related injuries that have affected thoughts and actions.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a basic screening for a mental health evaluation for post head injuries. There are some head related injuries that have affected thoughts and actions.
Agreed, they're probably looking for very violent answers to that question. If you answered, "yeah, as soon as I get outta the ER I'm gonna go find that %^*#$% Dave who dropped his framing hammer on my head and stick a knife thru his heart.", they'd probably make a few phone calls before they let you leave...

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Damn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom