Well it's the end of June...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am ready to hunt. I accidentally left my freezer door open in the spring when I was getting a wolf head out to have cleaned and did not notice it for a week...it is in a shed that I don't go into that often, and all my meat was ruined. I am going to NM in Sept for archery elk and am planning a javelina/hog hunt in Texas for Feb 11 already. Lots of archery deer hunting and coyote calling and pheasant hunting in between.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have 20 or so 1lb packages of ground venison, and about the same number of steaks. Put 3 good ones in the freezer last year.

MZ season is a great time to get out. Not as many hunters as regular gun season, and the bucks aren't fighting much yet, so if you take one it probably won't have points broken off like a lot do when the rut comes in during centerfire season.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea. I almost always - or maybe always - at least SEE deer during ML season, on any given 2-day hunt during this season. Cannot say the same for any random archery or rifle season 2-day hunt. They seem to move around a lot in that pre-rut phase in late October (at least in Eastern OK). Don't always get one, but your chances are better during ML than other seasons, seems to me. Not *tons* better, but better, I think. Been trying to convince my friend of this, but he doesn't want to mess with MLs - though he does shoot a bow.

I see deer every day of rifle season where I get to hunt, it's a matter of are they close enough to hit. I hunt 2 full sections of private land one of the bigwigs where my wife works at owns.

He tries to have it ready to go for youth gun for the youngsters to go hunting the week before ML season, Youth gun they took 4 last year, then rifle season just on deer camp weekend(the friday and saturday after Thanksgiving) we took 5 all total we took 11 during rifle season. So 15 last year, his herds are looking really good.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see deer every day of rifle season where I get to hunt, it's a matter of are they close enough to hit. I hunt 2 full sections of private land one of the bigwigs where my wife works at owns.

He tries to have it ready to go for youth gun for the youngsters to go hunting the week before ML season, Youth gun they took 4 last year, then rifle season just on deer camp weekend(the friday and saturday after Thanksgiving) we took 5 all total we took 11 during rifle season. So 15 last year, his herds are looking really good.

Hey, buddy , old friend, i do have an extra ML for you to use if you were needing someone to help thin that herd down some.In fact,it is a Wolf and I shoot the Optima so everything is the same for both.

Reaction score
I try to make mine last. I figure that if you calculate the cost of all my guns, ammo, and other gear, opportunity cost hunting, travel & lease fees, etc., etc., etc., against the relatively few deer I get, my deer meat is around $200-$300 per pound.

Fish meat is probably $50/pound. Thank goodness I don't have a boat, or it would be cost more than deer meat, on a per-pound basis!

:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dustingaunder is the man! Thanks for the hookup brother. That rifle looks awesome... now I just gotta figure out how to shoot it without blowing myself up:)

Sweet! Lots of trial and error in gettng a BP to shoot right. But then again....your shooting.
Good bore brushing between shots, and a cold barrel worked for me getting one sighted in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom