Went to my first long range shooting comp today…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first got into LR shooting I did it for hunting and ringing steel. I had a very good rifle built by GA Precision in 7WSM and like many first timers an inexpensive scope to get the ball rolling. A very good friend of mine that I grew up with who now lives in Texas taught me a lot that he learned attending classes at Rifles Only. I utilize his knowledge and a lot of actual field time to try to understand and read wind and to develop my data book.

This video was what I followed to check my Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 back in the day.

This was my result. Scope not level and not tracking true. Like in the video, these results are magnified the further you shoot. There is a lot of short range work prior to long range shooting. It’s only after your scope is mounted correctly and verified along with load development and hours upon hours of range time/data collection can the long range game begin.

BTW, 1moa = 1.047” at 100 yards hence 30moa= 31.41” Even though I have a range finder I used a tape measure to measure from the scope caps to the target 100 yards away.

D06F739E-8803-45D6-BAA5-A521A40BC238.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Update:

Handguard screws worked their way loose on my RPR. I took them all out and loctited them and retorqued them. The scope base wasn’t loose but each screw was torqued at different settings I could tell. Took each screw out and loctited them and retorqued them… then I leveled my rifle up… this is exactly what I thought. Pictures will explain. First photo is my reference level of rifle being true. Second photo is the scope itself. I’m not sure if I mounted it wrong last year or it worked itself out of level. Releveled the scope and loctited the screws. Now it’s dead nuts level. Now I’m hoping for a calm day to go back to the range and rezero this sucker.

5143DADA-B64A-4223-A326-C92491E5A952.jpeg

158D4FDB-F93A-4C2C-AC37-D0596810D653.jpeg

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spend your time one in the reloading room making repeatable rounds, do the same thing, the same way
Every time. Learn your equipment, what it can and can not do. Spend your time at the range, same as
Loading, do the same thing the same way every time. The best way to learn wind is go to the range
And shoot in the wind. Time on the bench is one of the most valuable things you can do. The .308 is
Still a viable round, and a good starting point, I have put .308 on steel at 1400 yards, can be done.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have levels though
Its so much easier. You would want to level the reciever not the barrel as shown in the picture. You can have a level on the barrel but your reciever could be canted. Sure you could have a level on the reciever and the barrel and level it up but you would have to move the level on the reciever to mount the scope where it could still get bumped and move. With the wedges it doesnt matter. The wedges will line everything up regardless of levelness. I hope that makes sense. Super simple to do and way easier than levels or plum bob

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its so much easier. You would want to level the reciever not the barrel as shown in the picture. You can have a level on the barrel but your reciever could be canted. Sure you could have a level on the reciever and the barrel and level it up but you would have to move the level on the reciever to mount the scope where it could still get bumped and move. With the wedges it doesnt matter. The wedges will line everything up regardless of levelness. I hope that makes sense. Super simple to do and way easier than levels or plum bob
Just ordered a set

Latest posts

Top Bottom