Went to my first long range shooting comp today…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m doing this stuff while I’m in my 20’s so I can’t say “I wish I did that” when I’m in my 50’s lol.
Mine came about after a long stressfull drive from Little Rock to the house after a fall I was in terrible pain all the way home. I got home and was getting out of the truck when my right eye started jerking repeatedly causing extreme dizziness. It lasted about 30 seconds and was scary as hell. It took my ability to focus away. When I look at a star at night, I can see 7 of them with one eye and 12 with the other all in different locations on my retina.

Long range shooting it out for me. I can see and I see sharply at somewhat of a distance the question is, which target lines up with my old retina.

Last edited:

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get out, sorry your rifle didn't perform!

6mm rifles are the main category being shot in PRS matches, don't see too much 308. Nothing wrong with it at all, just a little more supersonic distance with the 6s.

Hopefully this isn't an insulting comment, but I don't know what kind of experience you have... If you're interested in shooting monthly matches, I'd be happy to talk to you about OPPS. You and your 308 would be welcomed 😜. If you're new to shooting at distances over 4-500 yards I can't recommend enough to do a class with Justin Watts at Fouled Bore. Yes, that costs money, but I'd venture to say the knowledge you'd gain is worth more than an equivalent amount of ammo.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before anyone says “oh yeah just blame the rifle not the shooter”

No it really is my rifle. I had this thing tack driving last year but I think I installed the Magpul stock and never rezeroed so I may have messed up there or something has worked itself loose.. I dunno. All I know is I’m embarrassed and pissed lol.

I only hit the 300 yard target and COULD NOT get a hit on the 400 yard target. I called it quits after that. Figured I will pick a calm day and come back and sight it back in
No offense, but first competition. It’s probably the whole package a little you, the rifle, the tough shots, everything. Keep with it. Figure things out a little at a time.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my kestrel elite ballistics for windage and elevation calls, and I rely on what ever I can see for wind calls. You will learn a lot spotting for others at 600yds plus. That’s how I learned to read wind. Wind can switch directions within 200yds watching flags and tall grass. Mid-range and long-range is addictive!

When is their next match? I haven’t heard of this one.

Also, make sure you take note of the action screw torque values once zeroed with your best load. How tight those action screws are will play a big role!

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did absolutely terrible. Something is wrong with my rifle and I can’t pinpoint what but other than that had a fun time helping spot and keep score.

Competition was 10 round sets. You had 10 rounds to reach out to 1000 yards.

Start at 300, once you have a hit you move on to the next. Targets were in 100 yard increments. Small targets worth double.

It’s wild what the wind can do down the canyon. I was spotting for a few guys and looking at the ribbon fluttering in the wind. 500 yards was acting like there was a straight heavy crosswind and then 800 looked like there was a small breeze.

I have some work to do though on my rifle trying to figure out where I messed up. I think I may have installed the Magpul stock and never checked zero again. Maybe somethings loose.. Maybe I screwed up my loads… I’m just not sure. Very irritating and I feel dumb.

I also felt weird being the only .308Winchester shooter that I know of there. I’m pretty sure everyone was using some sort of Creedmor.
I have not shot over 300 Yards. But on some of our 235 Yard shots we have three flags. I've seen the 1 st blowing left, the middle straight down, and the 3rd blowing to the right. How do you figure the hold on that?
I guess you hold left and by the time you get out by the 3rd it blows the projectile back to the right! JUST GUESSING!

Latest posts

Top Bottom