What a day.... motorcyclists , PLEASE WEAR YOUR HELMETS!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I HATE seatbelt laws, helmets, and all the other nanny state BS.

SHOULD you wear a seatbelt or a helmet? THAT IS YOUR CHOICE, not to, may be a bad, illogical, even stupid choice; but IT IS YOUR CHOICE, not something to be legislated.

Child car seats, I am torn on, I hate it being legislated, but at the same time; the child cannot make that choice. On the same note, it is the parent choosing to take the risk. Then you have the corporate gouging. Car seats were available being required, we had one, kids hated it, we hated it; but we used it.

Became law and the prices for car seats, literally, double overnight. $75 for a car seat is a major expense for a struggling family and then make it a law is total BS.

Yes, I know all the crap about medical cost and drain on society. What about the drain on society from the nanny state redistribution of wealth? IT IS CALLED FREEDOM. Freedom to make the choice.

Any baby shower invitation we receive from family or friends, we get a car seat. NOT because it's the law, because we feel it sends the right message. When it comes down to a choice between formula, diapers or car seat, what gives you the right to tell anyone they must have a car seat instead of feeding their baby.

Gubment get the HELL out of my life.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've pushed my luck a few times riding in shorts and tennis shoes. However, I always wear a helmet. Scrapes and broken bones are one thing but a head impact can easily be life threatening.

That's my take also. I always wear a full face helmet and gloves. My brain (and eyes) and hands are irreplaceable. Abrasions elsewhere (which is what "leathers" protect you from) are painful, but they will probably heal.

At least that's my excuse for riding in shorts and t-shirts!
I always wear shoes, can't imagine riding in flip-flops (of course, I don't wear them ever, even on the beach, I can't stand that thing between my toes!)

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I HATE seatbelt laws, helmets, and all the other nanny state BS.

SHOULD you wear a seatbelt or a helmet? THAT IS YOUR CHOICE, not to, may be a bad, illogical, even stupid choice; but IT IS YOUR CHOICE, not something to be legislated.

Child car seats, I am torn on, I hate it being legislated, but at the same time; the child cannot make that choice. On the same note, it is the parent choosing to take the risk. Then you have the corporate gouging. Car seats were available being required, we had one, kids hated it, we hated it; but we used it.

Became law and the prices for car seats, literally, double overnight. $75 for a car seat is a major expense for a struggling family and then make it a law is total BS.

Yes, I know all the crap about medical cost and drain on society. What about the drain on society from the nanny state redistribution of wealth? IT IS CALLED FREEDOM. Freedom to make the choice.

Any baby shower invitation we receive from family or friends, we get a car seat. NOT because it's the law, because we feel it sends the right message. When it comes down to a choice between formula, diapers or car seat, what gives you the right to tell anyone they must have a car seat instead of feeding their baby.

Gubment get the HELL out of my life.

I agree with you turkeyrun.

I don't and wont. Hate the dam things. I've been in a wreck were I almost died because a girl was texting. Even lost my knee cap. If I wanted an enclosing around me Id drive my truck. I like my bike. I like the freedom and openness of ridding it. The wind in my face. The whole experiance. I been on them since a kid and got my first one when I was 15. It was love. If a person wants to wear one that's fine. But not for me.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been riding for 42 years. had 3 accidents. Of the 3 accidents two were because I was young, stupid and drunk. The other was gravel on the road combined with a sharp curve and high speed. Helmet saved my life on that one and made no difference the other two times.

In all that time I've never had an accident involving a car when I was riding.

Have I been lucky? I think not. When on the road I ride like I've got a big ole bullseye on my back and every cage on the highway is aiming to run over it. Stay as far away from the cages as you can and don't give the 'tards driving one a chance to hit you. Don't tailgate, don't ride in a blind spot. Always watch (depending on the lane you're in) the left or right front tire of the car in the next lane over - it'll tell you even before the driver knows where he's going. Don't get into pissing contests with car drivers they will always win - always. Leave the macho at home and tuck your nuts in. Do all that and you'll live a lot longer on a bike. There's lots more to surviving on a bike but that short list covers most of the really important stuff.

That said:

Don't wanna wear a helmet, knock your self out and don't. Your choice. Just keep in mind when you make that choice how it might impact those around you. You won't suffer - you'll be DEAD! But they will.

Soonere39

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ALWAYS wear my helmet when I ride. I personally know 3 people that a helmet saved them death or serious head injury and two of those three I witnessed the crash. And two of those three were at parking lot speeds with the front wheel slipping on oil and the helmet smacking the ground HARD. One of those three had no injury and two of them had only a fractured collar bone.

I even wore my textile vented riding jacket yesterday in the 94 degree heat. I'll always wear it on the highway regardless of temps but I should be better about it around town. I'ld rather sweat than bleed.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it is different but I had my helmet save me on the dirt track once. I was ejected and landed on a pile of rocks. I was knocked out and got an all expense paid trip in an ambulance because I kept trying to crawl out of my best friends truck as he attempted to drive me to the er. I wear a full face arai helmet on the street. When you buy a helmet don't go cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom