What about Fruit Cake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the time of year where fruit cake is everywhere. Legend is that it lasts for year. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Anyway, every year it ends up on clearance pretty cheap.

If it has a good long shelf life I wonder if it might be worth storing a few?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only fruitcake I will eat is the kind in the round tin from Corsicana Texas that my mom sends me every year. I love it. It is supposed to stay fresh and moist for a few months, but thats in the fridge. It doesnt last that long with me. Nobody else eats it at my house, and thats ok with me.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jay Leno says the older the better.

"If a fruit cake contains alcohol, it could remain edible for many years. For example, a fruit cake baked in 1878 is kept as an heirloom by a family (Morgan L. Ford) in Tecumseh, Michigan. In 2003 it was sampled by Jay Leno on The Tonight Show. To lengthen the shelf life of a fruit cake, wrap the cake in alcohol soaked linen before storing."

Fruit Cake

Morgan L. Ford

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only fruitcake I will eat is the kind in the round tin from Corsicana Texas that my mom sends me every year. I love it. It is supposed to stay fresh and moist for a few months, but thats in the fridge. It doesnt last that long with me. Nobody else eats it at my house, and thats ok with me.

The best around, period.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personally don't have a problem with a little Fruit Cake around the holidays. I deal with my family and they're all fruit cakes.

the Holidays is the only time I can really stand them.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom