what ar15 platform for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes. i don't need a heavy deer rifle. i was thinking a light weight barrel and a skeleton hand guard. do you think i can acheive this under 8 lbs?
Not counting optic for sure.
16" or 18" 6.8spc ARP barrel. You don't need a 20" barrel.

What are you thinking optic wise?

Last edited:

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
POF makes the Rogue in 308. It weighs just 5.99 lb. That leaves a lot of room for an optic and staying well under 8 lb. Lots of ammo options in 308 as well.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a 16" Bushmaster with an Aimpoint Red Dot for years & Hornady 55 grain VMAX Ammunition with good success.
IMG_0840.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of them,
I prefer a low power scope on a lighter ar using the 60 grain Nosler partition. I’ve never been able to recover a bullet and never needed more than 1 bullet..
You know how you always wanted to give your dad something he really wanted?
Pops seen me laying down the deer with my m4 and wanted details on the rifle. So we talked it over then went shooting. He said “I gotta get one of those” I said here you go!
He started loading 70 gr Barnes copper pills, the rifle was shooting dime size groups and he later insisted that he pay me for the rifle.
We’ve been running them for deer hunting for quite a while, I stayed with the 60gr Nosler.
I never would use a 223 on deer, one day me and a 3 gun shooter Doug B. were discussing this topic and he said he’d been using 223 for years. I thought it odd as I’d been blowing their asses off with 308 and up. He reminded me that the 223 lives and flops on bullet choice. I never looked back. It’s so true that rifle and cartridge can do a lot you need the right bullets.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what are your recommendations with hunting with the ar15? barrel length,rails and scopes etc.
I am shooting an AR 15 with a 18 inch barrel chambered in 6 mm ARC. Sig Whiskey 3 scope, Timney trigger at 3 lbs. Shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 103 gr ELD X ammo. Shoots under an inch at 200 yards. I have killed hogs, deer and coyotes, one shot kills. I have been really happy with it now for over a year.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Built a (light weight) 6.5 Grendel (16") for the kid to deer hunt with, tossed a $70 Primary arms 3-9x44 scope on it and its been a killing machine. Went with a cheap scope thinking the kid would beat the crap out of it...and she has but it has remained dead on. I used it a couple weeks ago for a coyote at 230 yards he dropped like a rock, fun little gun.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have already settled on the 223 and a 75 grain hpbt because it matches the bdc on the scope i already have. so for now mainly i am just interested in a light weight upper of some sort to drop my scope onto and give it a whirl. the 6.5 sounds like an excellent choice though,,,,maybe in the future???

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious, why the AR platform desire for hunting deer? If it is just because or for fun, I get it and nothing wrong with that reason.

If you had concerns with traditional firearms, I am curious as to why.

Latest posts

Top Bottom