what ar15 platform for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so far for my bullet i think i will stick with the 75 grain hpbt but as always interested in other ideas. the rifle platform i think a light 20 inch upper with no sights? i already have a scope with a bdc that i like and fits the ammunition i have. ring height etc is where it gets foggy for me on an ar?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my place all the shots will be under 100yds with most closer to 50yds….so when not using the 308 I like my AR with 220gr 300blk out subsonic with the suppressor. I have some Barnes 110gr Vortx for it but I like the quiet of the sub. I have the 220gr zeroed at 80yds ( 4” high at 50 yds)

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what are your recommendations with hunting with the ar15? barrel length,rails and scopes etc.
Have used AR platforms in 6.5CM, 308/7.62x51, 300SAUM, and others for deer and other hunting. Problem has always been the excessive weight.....LUGGABLE at way over 10-14lbs with optics, sling, loaded. But, I recently bought the Ruger SFAR in 308W right at 7lbs depending on 16" or 20" barrel. Going to give it a try next Fall. Considering running as a straight pull bolt gun. Can reduce weight even more by dumping the buffer, recoil spring, et el running the adjustable gas block on OFF.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have used AR platforms in 6.5CM, 308/7.62x51, 300SAUM, and others for deer and other hunting. Problem has always been the excessive weight.....LUGGABLE at way over 10-14lbs with optics, sling, loaded. But, I recently bought the Ruger SFAR in 308W right at 7lbs depending on 16" or 20" barrel. Going to give it a try next Fall. Considering running as a straight pull bolt gun. Can reduce weight even more by dumping the buffer, recoil spring, et el running the adjustable gas block on OFF.
the weight surprises me. why are they so heavy?

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10.5 5.56 and keep blasting until it stops moving 😎 you won't get much meat and the pelt looks like Swiss cheese, but that's okay, it's the thought that counts

Latest posts

Top Bottom