what ar15 platform for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EXTAR .223 tack driver, 48 oz. unloaded. Leupold scope.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Cdubya

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put a deer down cleanly with my 16in carbine gassed gun and lpvo last fall inside of 100 yards with a barnes vortx 55gr tx. Lead free projectiles were required.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you ask I'm going to assume you are talking about a 223/5.56 caliber. twist rate is key. I would look at bullet weight if your rifle can shoot heave bullets. I have used 55gr barnes bullets. did the job.

Annotation 2023-07-06 141027.png

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have already settled on the 223 and a 75 grain hpbt because it matches the bdc on the scope i already have. so for now mainly i am just interested in a light weight upper of some sort to drop my scope onto and give it a whirl.

Wait a minute.
I love math and science so I have a question.

You settled on a round because it matches the BDC on the scope.
But you have not bought an upper.
Now upper can mean just the upper part and not the barrel.

To match the BDC of the scope you need to chronograph the round being used.
Chronograph it in the barrel being used.
If the loaded round has not been chronographed through a barrel you already have how will you know it matches the BDC on the scope?

Just thinking here.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait a minute.
I love math and science so I have a question.

You settled on a round because it matches the BDC on the scope.
But you have not bought an upper.
Now upper can mean just the upper part and not the barrel.

To match the BDC of the scope you need to chronograph the round being used.
Chronograph it in the barrel being used.
If the loaded round has not been chronographed through a barrel you already have how will you know it matches the BDC on the scope?

Just thinking here.
when i say upper i mean upper assy complete. i have experience already with the bdc and ammo choice on another platform so i understand that a different barrel chamber etc will be a new game,so an educated guess? anyhow i will need to adjust my come ups on the scope and bdc for any combination of any rifle. i have moa fo wind and elevation visible in the scope and a range finding reticle. there are places on the bdc that will match and others need a slight adjusment o hold over under etc. a dope for the combination will be easy

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i say upper i mean upper assy complete. i have experience already with the bdc and ammo choice on another platform so i understand that a different barrel chamber etc will be a new game,so an educated guess? anyhow i will need to adjust my come ups on the scope and bdc for any combination of any rifle. i have moa fo wind and elevation visible in the scope and a range finding reticle. there are places on the bdc that will match and others need a slight adjusment o hold over under etc. a dope for the combination will be easy
Are you using 1st or 2nd focal plane scope? . Are you dialing up or using the drop in your scope? this will make a big difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom