What are these new AR doohickeys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That give you an angled forward grip - kinda pie-shaped, at about a 30 degree angle?

Main things I want to know about them are how much do they weigh, are they quick-on, quick-off, and do you like them (if you use one)?

Thanks.

Edit: Evidently I'm talking about this - the Magpul AFG:

http://store.magpul.com/product/64/88

How much do they weigh - the spec sheet doesn't say. Also, are they too long to fit onto a short carbine-length foreend rail?

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the weight is minimal. On/off is not quick. It uses a set screw that is not quick-detach. It will fit on a carbine length just fine. overall length is about 6".
The grip feels pretty darned good. I don't like VFG's but I like grabbing the rail even less. grabbing the rail contorts my wrist in a way that I don't like. the AFG changes it to a near natural grasp.
Best thing is to put hands-on to try it. If you want, you can try my ar out.
just let me know.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the weight is minimal. On/off is not quick. It uses a set screw that is not quick-detach. It will fit on a carbine length just fine. overall length is about 6".
The grip feels pretty darned good. I don't like VFG's but I like grabbing the rail even less. grabbing the rail contorts my wrist in a way that I don't like. the AFG changes it to a near natural grasp.
Best thing is to put hands-on to try it. If you want, you can try my ar out.
just let me know.

What he said. lol

Reaction score
Thanks very much Jeff (and eft) - sounds great - that's kinda how I feel too about both VFGs and horizontal handguards (latter contorts my wrist a bit) - I think I will get one of these for my DPMS, espec. since the weight is minimal as you say!

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
grabbing the rail contorts my wrist in a way that I don't like. the AFG changes it to a near natural grasp.

If you mean grabbing the rail (or forearm) locks your wrist forward and puts tension on your forearm, then you are giving up a great amount of control on the gun.

We werent born naturally with a gun in our hands; so proper gun positioning may not feel all that natural, but thats where training and practice comes in.

I see no reason for the afg, other than to make mp a few bucks, steal a bunch of rail space, and tease you into a slightly more proper grip position as opposed to a vertical fore grip.

My .02 on the topic.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many people use a VFG improperly. If this does nothing but make people more aware of what good support hand positioning is, then its worked. I do see a lot of people mounting them too far to the rear, like they had their VFG. The AFG will work best as far forward as you can get it up to the point that your support arm is locked out rather than bent.

I have one and for my application (11.5" bbl with a 7" rail) it really helps me get several inches further forward than I otherwise could.

And Mike, you forgot to mention that it may make you a little extra money when people ask you to stipple them for more grip! :)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The AFG will work best as far forward as you can get it up to the point that your support arm is locked out rather than bent.

So that's why I see pictures of shooters with their support arm thrown WAY out there on the HG of their AR's. It looks almost as if they're finishing a bayonet thrust :P

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you mean grabbing the rail (or forearm) locks your wrist forward and puts tension on your forearm, then you are giving up a great amount of control on the gun.

We werent born naturally with a gun in our hands; so proper gun positioning may not feel all that natural, but thats where training and practice comes in.

I see no reason for the afg, other than to make mp a few bucks, steal a bunch of rail space, and tease you into a slightly more proper grip position as opposed to a vertical fore grip.

My .02 on the topic.

Thanks for telling me how i'm doing it wrong. :saywhat:

Having MS, I need to find a more "natural" grip rather than a grip that takes all the fun out of shooting but is "proper", so I'm going to continue train and practice doing it my way.
As far as money, sure, $35 worth of grip is $35 less ammo, but it doesn't steal any space on mine as nothing else is mounted to the bottom rail.

my .02

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No AFG for me.

If the "rail" hurts your hand, try the Troy TRX Extreme battle "rail". Its slimmer profiling and no rails unless you add them. My hands aren't the biggest and this rail fits perfect. I'll be at the March 3 Gun if you want to fondle it. And hold it. And shoot it!

I used a Tapco hacksawed stubby VFG for a while on my other AR's but I always wrapped my pinky and ring finger around the front, modified VFG grip I think is how Magpul named it. Then I got rid of it. The extra weight isn't worth it for me. Sure its not a lot but I would rather have a light.

I say try it, if you don't like it put it on the classifieds. :cannon:

Latest posts

Top Bottom