What Bird is This?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]
Wooded area with lots of blackjack trees.
I put up a bird feeder to attract songbirds and I am swamped with these but I don't know what they are.
The black cap on their heads sometimes are pointed into somewhat of a crest.
A small amount of yellow or orange coloring on their undersides.

I've seen woodpeckers, bluejays, roadrunners, finches, but only one cardinal. :bah:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bird looks more like a tufted titmouse which is quite common in Okla at bird feeders. They love sunflower seeds and will send alot of time hammering the shells open to get at the seed.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The black cape over the head looks more like the nuthatch.
It's VERY pronounced on most birds I am seeing.

One other clue: The wiki says that the nuthatch frequently "able to move head-first down trees."
aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_0_09_Sitta_carolcb5119ffaf10af4b1911cfd057edbd35.jpg

These guys sometimes hang upside down on the feeder even when there is no reason to do so. :)

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And they're one of the least spooky birds we have around the feeders. You can get really close and they don't care. They usually seem to come in pair and make a squeaking noise the entire time.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Certainly a nuthatch but the goofy kid in me still wants to say titmouse and giggle like beavis! The titmouse will have the tuft on the head and short stout bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom